rewind drum motor wonky and low gain on Tascam 38?

Sonarcade

I have two concerns since I started work on the Tascam 38.

1) the rewind mechanism sometimes struggles to get the reel going after having recorded it. It does however start to accelerate once I give one of the reels a good nudge. I'm wondering how common this is and if this should raise some concern.

2) I'm using the preamps on my novation x-station to run my Rode NT1 microphone to the point of clipping and for some reason the playback volume seems oddly low. Could this just be the result of a bad combination or wiring or faultiness with either one of the units themselves?

Thanks.

My friend,...

I'd suspect the tape, first and foremost. You should start with a known good new reel of high quality tape, hopefully not used tape. NOS tape can often be good, but varying by brand, type and batch, getting sticky tape is more of a risk with NOS.

Along with the suspicion of the tape having undue friction from SSS (sticky shed syndrome), is the inherent layers of oxide you'll get, which can diminish the record/playback response. The head must be as clean as can be, normally with nearly a mirror finish. Even oxide on the head you can't see can diminish response. You have to clean the heads a lot and start with new/fresh tape.

(These days), You gotta think of the tape as the culprit, most of all,... (or at least I do).

Beyond that, if perhaps your deck has been sitting with original factory setup all these years, I have one word: calibration.

The issue of needing a calibration is a foregone conclusion if the deck has gone any number of years without a tune up. A few (3-5) db of dropoff audio response would be normal. It's not the end of the world. It can usually be adjusted back to 0/0.

As well, if you check the manual, there's a section for reel torque. (After verifying tape!!!!!),..... you might logically assume the reel torque should be checked and adjusted. If the reel torque is off, you might have undue tension on the tape, which would exacerbate any tape wear, drag or cleaning issue. The reel torque affects tape tension in play mode and FF/RW response, directly.

Check the tape to 100% certainty with multiple reels. If you can do that and still have the problem, it's tech time. Some DIY'ers or any worthy tech could do the rec/repro and reel tension adjustment. HINT: You need the manual, a calibration tape and a spring scale to do both.

You're in LA, so with a good number of audio electronic fixit shops to choose from, you should be alright. TEAC Service 'bout 30 minutes away from you, too. Learning to do it yourself is a lot cheaper in the long run, and it's technical but maybe not brain science.:eek:;)

For DIY cal you have to invest in a few tools right off. I've seen the effects of calibration on my own well kept 38 that have me convinced of the efficacy of a proper calibration as related to these two issues. I've had both issues. Adjusted it myself. Was surprised at the improvement when tension was corrected and e'thing was setup right.

[IMO] most home-kept personal studio 38's would tend to have low or medium wear and maybe have never been calibrated since factory setup. Things have to be checked & set back in spec again. If you clean and cal them up, 38's'll usually perform and sound great for many years to come.

So sorry to go on at length. I'll shut up now.:eek:;) Tech DIY can be a learning experience.

Last edited:
As if that weren't enough,...

I don't want to check out without remembering to remind you to check that the reel tables (hubs) are screwed very securely to the reel motor shafts. Slippage could be occuring at that point if it's loosened a bit.:eek:;)

Yo Gabba Gabba!:eek:;)

thanks again reel person for your advice. I actually bought 3 used reels and hopefully the tape hasn't damaged the heads, because it seems as if you pretty much nailed it with suspecting SSS as I'm wont to agree with looking at the picture below. I tried all of them and it seems like my Tascam 38 has stopped recording completely although it was doing fine before. Are the heads irreversibly damaged or can they be repaired?

hopefully, the picture'll be enough to arrive at some conclusion about the current state of my Tascam 38. Also, I'm much more of a fan of DIY (or rather with the advice I get here, I suppose it would be more accurate to say DIT[ogether]) than to rely on a technician to do repairs for me, so any help in this context is more than welcome.

Clean the all those heads with isopropyl alcohol immediately , you need the 90% + even 98% strong Alcohol if you can get it, try the chemist / pharmacy.

Use cotton cleaning swabs or 100% cotton makeup remover pads (lint free)

You will probably need to clean the heads at least 3 or 4 times & keep cleaning them until all the tape oxide dust comes off on the cotton!!!! And clean anywhere in the tape path apart from any rubber rollers (Don't clean rubber with this solution)

They look really dirty to me!

Clean the all those heads with isopropyl alcohol immediately , you need the 90% + even 98% strong Alcohol if you can get it, try the chemist / pharmacy.

Use cotton cleaning swabs or 100% cotton makeup remover pads (lint free)

You will probably need to clean the heads at least 3 or 4 times & keep cleaning them until all the tape oxide dust comes off on the cotton!!!! And clean anywhere in the tape path apart from any rubber rollers (Don't clean rubber with this solution)

They look really dirty to me! Yuch!

I used some cheap isopropyl alcohol on some napkins and elbow grease and got that off and once that happened, I started hearing my recordings again! I hope that rubbing against the heads as firmly as I did didn't lead to anything permanent. I feel that the Tascam 38 is built like a tank but still needs to be handled in as delicate of a manner as possible -- which is hard for a bull in a china shop like myself.

It's funny that now that sticky shed thread that's...ahem...stickied makes so much sense to me. I'm hoping for either a cool bulk pancake sale on ebay for NOS tape like the one you posted, trancedental, or find a way to minimize the shedding so I don't have to scrub away at those heads every pass.

Sss...???

Man, you've got a bad case of it!

Snackmaster dehydrator from Walmart might be a good investment for you @ appx $40.

The downside of SSS is that if it's bad enough to stall the tape, the undue stress if let run long enough might burn out the reel motors,... in the worst cases is a possibility.

Also, the friction and associated heat, if run to excess, could actually physically burn out the head,... or so I've read maybe once or twice online.:eek:;)

These are the most serious issues that could develop from an unchecked case of SSS. Beware & snack-snack-Snackmaster away!:eek:;)

PS: Meaning,... you can't just continue to run this tape and ignore the problem. Baking, or actually heating & dehydrating the tape can restore it's smoothe running properties,... or so I've read. Do not use a conventional gas oven! Baking is a bit of a misnomer. I have yet to do the SSS/Snackmaster treatment myself, but will soon TBA.

I have done it and it stinks like shit. If you do it, do it in the basement or garage. And dont hang around it smells like something you dont want to inhale for a long time.
From the looks of your heads and tape build up I suggest to bite the bullet and get some new tape.
And I dont mean something off of ebay that says its new or near new used.
I know 70 bucks for a reel of 1/2 inch is a bit high but its worth getting some new tape for the 38.

I agree. Get some new tape, as in currently made RMGI SM911 and toss the SS tape. Do keep the aluminum reels as take ups and to mount the SM911 pancakes. That'll save you money right there.

Also, for the future, get some proper cleaning supplies, like the cotton pad makeup removers, as trancedental already mentioned and also you should be using at least 90% isopropyl, again, as was mentioned. Clean in the direction of the tracks and not across them. Prior to using new tape, clean again using the fore mentioned methods, to make sure it's done right.

Baking is usually done to recover precious recordings but other than that....

--

ok. This is a case where the path of least resistance becomes the wisest one. The food dehydrator may do a bit to lengthen the longevity (if we can even call it that at this point in these tapes' lives) of my tapes, but after reading all these responses, it seems as if one reel of fresh tape can last me pass upon pass for a good while until I decide that I'm going to record something for serious.

Thanks for all this advice, you guys.

cjacek - would you happen to know where to get pancakes for at a reasonable price? I bought my take up reel from tapetape as it's a 15 minute bike ride away from me, but from the sound of it in some of the threads I've read here, Bill from tapetape isn't everyone's favorite guy in these parts.

Goodbye 94 >= ampex 406 reels!

it seems as if one reel of fresh tape can last me pass upon pass for a good while

Yes, you can produce many, many songs, entire albums on just 1 tape, if you don't mind recording over your master tracks.

cjacek - would you happen to know where to get pancakes for at a reasonable price?

OK, I just did a random check, by clicking on one of the states, here:
http://www.rmgi-usa.com/dealers.html

..and was able to find a really good deal on 1/2" 456 pancake:
http://www.totalmedia.com/store/aud...00-on-hub-no-reelwhile-supplies-last-179.html

Again, there's also a ton of RMGI / tape dealers, which may also have good closing deals on Quantegy and I'd use that 'dealer' map above to get a good list of those online stores.

--

Sonarcade: I'd also suggest you clean the pinch roller properly or replace it as it surely has a lot of sticky shed on there too, not to mention the rubber going bad due to age. It will negatively impact your sound if you don't take care of it. You should also clean the capstan shaft - making sure not to drip alcohol into the motor further down.

Also, with regard to keeping the aluminum reels to mount pancakes, make sure you also keep the screws. Just unscrew the hub from the flanges and toss it along with the tape. Now when you use pancakes, just place the flanges on the pancake and fasten the screws to the hub.

---

man, what a super awesome deal! Thanks for the link and confirmation of this place as a legit dealer, guys! I don't think I could ever be an archiver for lack of funds and space. Come to think of it, I do have like 20 cassette tapes of bits of material scattered about. This is the stuff of insanity, I think, since I always say I'd come back to these to finish them only to find myself lacking the energy or whatever else to do so.

But I digress. I'm on that pancake right now and I'm excited about getting a proper start with this newly acquired Tascam 38. Also, what's one way to gauge the state of one's pinch roller? It looks OK for now although when I tried cleaning it with my 70% isopropyl alcohol, I just saw a bunch of black coming off, which I figured to be a natural shedding process of the rubber itself. It also was a bit sticky. But I see bad rubber conventionally as drying and cracking. But perhaps this is not the way to approach one's pinch roller. This is why I'm the one asking the questions here. =)

And below's the "after"-picture. Man, that "before"-picture looks like an eyesore now. No wonder I could only hear what was recorded by the previous owner on track 1 during playback and none of what I tried to record over it!

I used some cheap isopropyl alcohol on some napkins and elbow grease and got that off and once that happened, I started hearing my recordings again! I hope that rubbing against the heads as firmly as I did didn't lead to anything permanent. I feel that the Tascam 38 is built like a tank but still needs to be handled in as delicate of a manner as possible -- which is hard for a bull in a china shop like myself.

It's funny that now that sticky shed thread that's...ahem...stickied makes so much sense to me. I'm hoping for either a cool bulk pancake sale on ebay for NOS tape like the one you posted, trancedental, or find a way to minimize the shedding so I don't have to scrub away at those heads every pass.

Never use anything other than cotton or foam swabs to clean heads. Napkins, paper towels, tissue, are much too abrasive. Clean your entire tape path before each session at a minimum regardless of how new the tape is.

thanks. I just thought that the make-up removing pads were advised though not really necessary. I just hope that I didn't cause any damage to the heads when using napkins. The sound sounds fine but I'm not sure if I'd be the right person to be the judge of that. And maybe if the condition of the heads isn't related to the sound quality, and just whether the tape registers or not, then I'm in the clear and got lucky this time.

So is the concentration of the alcohol also something to consider seriously?

btw, I have a tune that I recorded to check the sound quality of this thing.

They write that kind of music in Hollywood???

That's pretty good songwriting. I'm impressed. It sounds like mid-60's David Bowie stuff, (pre-Ziggy).

The sound quality is good. I detect maybe only 3 tracks. I can't tell what the main instrument is,... maybe a muted piano patch or classical guitar?

The 38 side of it sounds fine. I think you could push the db up on the enitre mix when dubbing to the soundcard. However, if you put another 5 tracks on this one it should fill out the sound a lot. Nothing's wrong with stripped sounding music, as is. The thing that struck me most is the mixdown could be louder as it's dubbed to the 'puter.

As with any system, analog or digital, you have to size up and get used to exactly how hard you can push the inputs on the soundcard to get max volume before distortion.

Aye!

Last edited:
Back