Revox A77 recording procedure

Spooler

Hi. Cant think of anything else, so you guys may be helpfull. After recording i only get one channel play back.. I think i am not setting the record settings properly. Can someone give me step by step record settings for stereo.

Attachments

• DSCF0891.jpg
    DSCF0891.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 127
The B77 has two illuminated 'arm' switches which enable recording for each individual track. I think that on your machine they are the push-buttons on each side of the meter. Are they both engaged?

A77 Recording

The procedure i am using is as follows.

1. Monitor switch left=STEREO
2. Monitor switch right=INPUT

3. Left/Right inputs set to=AUX
4. Record arm buttons=IN
I have swapped the output amp cards and both are ok. At this stage im sure its a recording setting problem. Playback on IEC or NAB only plays on one channel.

Hmm. I don't have one of those machines unfortunately, only the B77.
Have you tried recording on the one working channel, then flipping the tape over?
If it's a 1/2-track machine you should hear the tape playing backwards with the channels reversed. If you do this, do you get any output?

A77

This is a 1/4 track machine, Ive been through the manual but it is very vague on the recording procedure. I want to make sure i am doing it properly before i go searching for other problems.:confused: If i play a 2 track tape recorded on another machine it plays back great.

Last edited:
A77

Turns out to be dirty filthy record head, tried cleaning them without taking the head stack off, but after removing the head stack for a good view it was evident that the head was the problem..Thanks for your input.:)

As I'm sure you've noticed, the A77's heads are very inaccessible for viewing and cleaning. The later B77 was just as bad.

A small mirror on a stick is essential just to look at the heads.

Glad you got it working, anyhow. I never really had a problem cleaning the heads on the B77, as long as I remove the head-cover. I do tend to run it on its back a lot, though.

Back