Revolver or Sgt.Pepper

Right on Tom Hicks! The Beatles took the world from Elvis to Beethoven in seven years. Then they broke up. The lesson: the sky's the limit.

It's Revolver, Baby!

Put Reel on the board for "Revolver".

It was more of a straight Rock album, and the Pepper album was basically a collection of Showtunes, nonetheless, great showtunes.

Reel sez: "It's Revolver, Baby!"

I don't think paul became a homo or even a donny osmond. I think he was having a john denver/bob dylan clash. Hard rock probably scared him a little at first. On the cover of his first solo I see a guy that wants to do "hippie rock". I sure did like "Baby I'm Amazed". Did Rod Stewart write that?

Just think If the Beatles would have stayed together they would have sounded like a combination of the Wings and the Plastic Ono band.

Personally this could have been a good thing or a bad thing because alot of great music came out of the plastic ono band and the wings even had a bright spot or two.

Sometimes artists have to grow and if it means separating the beatles to do so, Its worth the sacrifice.

Maybe a poll on what was better the Wings or the Plastic Ono band would be interesting. Another one would pit the Beatles against Elvis, Maybe we would find out about one anothers tastes on that one.:cool:

So are you an Elvis man or a Beatles man?

I remember watching VH-1's 100 greatest albums of all time show at work(yeah, I know, but as they say, someone's gotta do it) and was really surprised when Revolver won. Not bcuz it's not worthy, but because it seems Sgt. Pepper gets the most "...changed the world..." hype.

Sgt. Pepper affects me the most. Revolver has alot of great songs, but I also think there are some mediocre ones and it feels like a collection. Every song on Sgt. Pepper is great to me and I feel like I just watched a great movie or read a great book.

The White Album's my favorite anyway.

Elvis never wrote his own material, so the only meaningful comparison between the two would be either their interpretations of other people's work, or their performances.. and on both counts I would have to prefer the Beatles.. That doesn't mean I don't respect the King, his style, or his influence on most of the music I listen to.

Cy

I bury Paul....

Put me down for Revolver..........or make it Rubber Soul..........no - Abbey Road.....Aw shoot I'll never decide. Pure POP genius! Never before, never since!

Twist

Revolver

As I recall during the documentary....The Beatles partially made Sgt. Pepper's cause they wanted an album no one could possibly expect them to play live (they succeeded) -

Revolver...they were still trying...I love the riffs on "I'm only Sleeping" that George Harrison runs thru backwards.

RB

Paul was never dead,

but unfortunately, John is.

I must still be in denial, because I can hardly believe it's been 20 years! All our lives have changed so much in the past 20 years, but John's gone, and his legacy was frozen in time, a long, long time ago.

He was a victim of the insane.

There's nothing that any of us could do, to prevent that, turn it around, or bring John back. The world lost a great artist, no doubt. He was one of a kind. Even Julian, with all John's best genes, still can't be John, or do what John did.

Also, the surviving Beatles, I've enjoyed almost everything they've put out. There's a lot of great music, there, with the Post-Beatle-Beatles.

And the 1995 'Free as a Bird' sessions, etc, [Anthology+], that was the "reunion" of the Beatles. That was a pseudo-reunion, and they did well with what they had to work with, but it was not the "Beatles".

FI, when John cut the demo, it was ~mid 70's, and John didn't want Paul to play on his tunes, at that time. George and Ringo played with John, on & on, after the Beatles broke up.

Anyway, the surviving Beatles did well with the tapes they had to work with, but that was a '70's John, and a '90's George, Paul & Ringo. They're playing had evolved, quite a bit, but it was a '70's John. The result was decent, pleasant, and still a good song, but it was a '90's song, and if John were alive, it would have sounded much different. John was murdered, killed in cold blood, and snuffed out, just like that. He wasn't given the chance to evolve.

Likewise, I think the "Free as a Bird" sessions would have sounded a lot different, if it was a 'contemporary' ['70's] Beatles piece, with a '70's George, a '70's Paul, and a '70's Ringo.

-------------

Lots of people miss John Lennon. He was loved, worldwide, almost universally. Some people didn't like him, he wasn't universally liked. Nixon didn't like him. Chapman didn't like him.

John's gone, and the whole world misses him. He cast a great shadow, over the world. There's really noone in the modern world who can fill his shoes. Who's gonna do it? Bono? Sting? Springsteen? Dylan? Mick Jagger? Paul McCartney?

Forget it, there's no replacing him.

Meanwhile, his great voice has been silenced forever, and we're just 20 years older. [Yoko's still cool, though].

People keep John's spirit alive, by remembering him, talking about him, sharing his ideas and music. Share his music. Play it. Live it.

... in fact, he's playing "Peggy Sue" on the CD changer, right now, [600 disc/random play/no delay].

Now, it's time for James Brown, and time to sign off.

Heh, ya, I got-ta have-a,
Yeah, I got-ta need-a,
Oh yes, I got-ta do-a,
Make it Funky,
Good God!
Make it Funky,
Take me home,
Make it Funky,
To the Bridge!

---------

What a coincidence, after James Brown, it's Paul McCartney.

Then Bowie, but that's another post.

---------

I like Sgt. Pepper, just fine, but I probably like Revolver a little better. I also like Rubber Soul, and especially Magical Mystery Tour.

Ah Hell. I like all the Beatles albums. They're all different. They all have something to offer.

Hey, we can talk about the Beatles, as if they're dated, and they literally are. Modern music, and post-Beatle era music is very, very different than most Beatle music, but in the context of their time, their music was state of the art, in Rock & Roll.

They didn't come out of nowhere, you know, they had their influences, but they definitely popped on the world scene, right out of nowhere, and set the standard.

Beatles music is a large part of the foundation of other, post-Beatle era Rock music.

You [or I] can say it's dated, and it is, in the literal sense, but bottom line is, that Beatles music is timeless.

The Beatles music defined the times they were in, not the other way around.

-------------

I'll get off my friggin' soap box, now.

Last edited:
Re: Paul was never dead,

A Reel Person said:

Lots of people miss John Lennon. He was loved, worldwide, almost universally. Some people didn't like him, he wasn't universally liked. Nixon didn't like him. Chapman didn't like him.
(snip)...

Yup, I miss John as well - it's a shame that Chapman didn't. In fact, if the truth be known, I think that he missed Yoko OhhhhhhhNooooooooooooo!

;>

- Wil

BTW - I played The White Album tonight, and I agree with c7sus about "Sexy Sadie" containing some of Lennon's most beautiful piano music.

John's piano playing was unique.

He had a nice feel for piano playing, not real flashy or technical, but really heartfelt. Same with his guitar playing & songs in general. Straight from the heart.

Oh man, he was a great, awesome talent.

All that talent, and everything else, and it's an insect of a man who puts him down. A worthless scum. Someone who had no greatness of his own, and in his insane ravings, decided that being infamous was the best he could do.

Chapman's safer in prison. Many, many people want a piece of him. "Just one shot" [DeNiro style].

[Chapman: Die, scum, die!]

without a doubt the white album is my favorite... some killer songs and some stinkers (ie. anything written by ringo) but over all its the one i listen to most.
next i'd have to say the anthology series, i love listening to the songs in progress... revolver's great and pepper's great on occasion.

Back