Revisiting Redbook, isrc, pq, ups, cd text prep?

psongman

H'lo,. Can we return for a bit to tidy up all the many posts that relate to this preparing an audio cd with all the above amenities or methods? I have been reading and researching this subject, not ad nauseum, but ad infinitum, about how to do this finalizing. I first want to thank all the posters, like Massive, MasteringA, and all the others who have contributed their expertise.

But, I would like to have one thread that addresses all the issues and the software and hardware to accomplish this goal, as isn't this what these forums are all about. So, after you have mixed your tracks down to 16bit, 44.1, and have them in their basic order. What is the next step? Do you name the tracks, adding artist and name..do you add isrc codes, do you add upc codes..i.e. in what order and using what software, like Sony Cd Architect, or Wavelab, Samplitude, WaveEditor.

What I am asking is what is the best procedure to follow that will yield the best results? I sense that Nero and Roxio can do some of the stuff but from the real MEs in here it is better to use other proggies for these purposes. So, could someone just write out the order they follow that has worked for them in the past or one they recently ironed out that has reaped redbooked cd's.

Oh, I finally broke down and got a Plextor Premium, so that part of the burning process, then Plextooling should assist me in my last bit of finalizing. Appreciate your listening and assistance, psongman

P.S. I did find out that you have to pay for isrc codes, wow, everyone wants to make a buck!

Last edited:
I have CD architect which can write CD text and ISRC codes. I however had a CD mastered with that info imbedded on it, apparently on a Mac, and CD architect couldn't read it. CD arch could of course read other discs....commercial, and other "PC" generated discs.

The duplication plant apparently could read it, but I'll know for sure when the discs arrive which should be in a couple of days.

Gotta love Macs! Just sold my last one about a month ago. :)

Anyrate, I was going to suggest CD architect and do it yourself when assembling your CD.

Yes, a friend of mine used CD Architect and it didn't do some of what it said, either. Wow, why would a company make a software that didn't accomplish something as important as adding all the codes and track names and artists.

This whole making a cd thingie confounds me. I believe it is time for the many recording artists that do some of the tracking at their home studios to unite and work with the hardware and software companies to make a product that will prepare their "works" for cd replicating and duplicating and even mp3'ing, ahah, new verb.

I am assuming a lot of the companies who provide the replicating and duping services are well aware of this conundrum as they work with and around it every day. There was a thread on the WEB that someone went through the steps that I am searching for, but lost the address or the message. He said that one of the programs, believe it is WaveEditor was an essential one and the only one that really added some of the info to the master disk. Anyway, trying to stay on top of my threads, as often I get waylaid by weather, wonkas, and unwise men, psongman

I find CD architect to be a real PITA to use...it makes the whole process way to complicated and convoluted...mainly because it's trying too hard to also be an audio editor instead of just a straightforward CD assembling/burning utility.

I ended up just using the built-in utility in my Samplitude DAW software (which took about 10 minutes) after fighting with CD Architect for about 2 hours only 'cuz I thought it would be the better app to use! :mad: :rolleyes:

You will need a CD burner that has this functionality (not all do) Plextors are a good choice.

For assembly I use SoundBlade (mac) then verify the codes using Plextor's Plextools program. It's not really all that complicated once you have the proper tools.

Also just a note, CD text is readable by CD capable players. This is not the same as iTunes song listings which need to be submitted over the Internet via iTunes or other programs that can submit this info to Gracenote.

See: http://www.gracenote.com/company_info/FAQ/FAQs/#5a

Again, asking for a entering the info in to the final chain. Do you add isrc and upc codes first, name artists and tracks...all of that kindof stuff? Is there a freeware program that will do all of this besides Wavelab and WaveEditor. Remember, I want the final product ready to be replicated, if possible, and duplicated, OK, thanks for the replies, psongman

Probably depends on what application you use to master your cd. I use Wavelab Essential... a really old version. You drag all you 16/44.1 files to the time line in the order you want. In another field, it lists the files and pertinent data like start/stop times, pause duration, overall time. This is where you enter all the other stuff like ISRC codes, CD Text. WLE doesn't give you the option to edit PQ codes.

In the timeline, you adjust spacing between the songs, tails, fades, etc. You can do global processing of EQ, limiting or whatevers to all the songs, and you can also apply processing to individual songs.

After I get all my songs in the timeline, I go through and listen to key parts in each song and compare to similar parts in other songs making sure everything is homogenous. I'll check the ending of one song as it goes into the next to make sure levels and spacing work. I will compare the soft sections to loud sections. I usually pick one song as a reference and try to match all the others to this one. If something doesn't fit, I go back to the mixdown version and make adjustments then resave as a 16/44.1

Where to get ISRC codes?? CDBaby is a good place. If you're going to put your cd up there anyways, might as well use their codes. They're free (last I checked). CDBaby also provides barcodes for a price ($20??) but you can get barcodes from anywhere. Google.

I have not sent any cd's off for replication/duplication, but I have seen the codes show up when rereading them. And like MasteringHouse said, putting the codes and CD-Text on the CD depends on the drive you're burning with. I bought a Plxtor 850-something, a relabeled LiteOn. It didn't burn CD-Text like I thought it would. I complained on Plextor's forum and they wrote a new firmware version to address that bug.

Is this what you're looking for???

Yes, thanks Chili. I am getting to the meat of the understanding. The problem that I am running into is, no one seems to know how to go about all the finishing touches...and to be honest, those that do, want to keep that info to themselves. I am going to follow through on doing all this prepping and have it replicated...keeping in contact with the place that does it. I will definitely either add to this thread or start a new one so that all those out there that need to know how this can be done will receive revelation, amen

psongman

The problem that I am running into is, no one seems to know how to go about all the finishing touches...and to be honest, those that do, want to keep that info to themselves.

I thought I just gave the rundown. This is pretty much all there is, unless I'm missing what you're asking. :confused:

psongman -

There's no conspiracy here, the procedure depends on what software you choose so a step by step isn't possible without knowing that.

In all cases it's basically a window where you fill in the values for text and codes then burn the CD. I then like to verify with another program (plextools).

Adding codes and text is really not complicated. The order that you add the codes doesn't matter. You could enter ISRC codes first or last, start from the last song or first. They are not written until you burn the CD.

Or are you asking "how do you master a CD"?

Back