Revisiting my track/mixing process in Guitar Tracks Pro 3

Kewlpack

Hello everyone. Been ages since I've posted. :rolleyes: I've recently invested a bit more into my home recording rig and wanted to get some process flow recommendations from you gurus so I get the most out of my new stuff.

Here's what I'm using to record, mix, etc.:

-- Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro audio interface/soundcard
-- Gateway GM5474 Desktop w/Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1 (ya ya ya), and 3GB Ram and plenty of fast hard disk.
-- KRK Rokit RP6-CL monitors (LOVE these things!!!!), and Creative Subwoofer
-- Guitar Tracks Pro 3
-- RiffWorks Standard
-- IK Multimedia AmpliTube 2

I have no trouble recording my tracks and applying envelopes, volume swells, et. al. - but I have several questions related to EQing, bouncing the tracks to a final mix, compression, etc. It's those details that torture me.

So my questions are:

1) What is your recommended process flow for applying compression, EQ, etc. AFTER you record the tracks?

2) Is it best practice to keep the time/delay/reverb effects OUT OF the initial raw tracks, applying it via plugins after the fact? Or does it matter?

3) Do you apply EQ to EACH track before bouncing to a mix? Or do you wait to EQ until you've bounced? Are there some "always do/don't do this" guidelines?

4) How do you know whether a track REALLY needs compression or not? How much is a good rule of thumb when you do apply it (I realize that is subjective)?

5) Once you've bounced tracks to a mix, what are the finishing touches you like to add?

6) Any guidelines you would recommend when recording guitar? I've seen some folks recommend a high shelf at 6Khz to kill off harsh top end...

Okay - lay it on me - I want to get my brain around this once and for all! ;)

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll give it a shot. :D
1) What is your recommended process flow for applying compression, EQ, etc. AFTER you record the tracks?

Rough in the mix flat, no eq, comp etc, see how far it goes.
Use clip gain envelopes +/- around nominal zero gain to make up for obvious needs, variations in punches, even comping' and trying out alt take and arrangement moves.
Use eq first to pull down/minimize what's not right with tones. (Like a doctor, do least harm first.) Possibly/likely you will be fine tuning again as the mix progresses.

3) Do you apply EQ to EACH track before bouncing to a mix? Or do you wait to EQ until you've bounced? Are there some "always do/don't do this" guidelines?
5) Once you've bounced tracks to a mix, what are the finishing touches you like to add?

Not sure what you're saying here. Bouncing clips/punches/gain moves down to one solid track is an option. Very often I wouldn't see the need to bounce it down at all. Do you mean 'applying' eq or effects to free up resources? If so, again an option is bounce to a new track and archive the source tracks in case the picture changes as the mix is refined.

4) How do you know whether a track REALLY needs compression or not? How much is a good rule of thumb when you do apply it (I realize that is subjective)?

The cool thing about clip' (pre-compressor gain) and track' envelopes is it allows you to make volume moves that lessen the load (the need) for compression, moves you toward the final goal - is the essence of mixing - and keeps it alive vs the pitfall of a static 'now we can hear everything all the time' compression solution. It may also be easier to see what needs auto-gain, what kind and why and use less of it once the big moves are out of the way.

2) Is it best practice to keep the time/delay/reverb effects OUT OF the initial raw tracks, applying it via plugins after the fact? Or does it matter?

This is a call based on a) how well you know ahead of time what will be needed in the context of the song and mix, b) how well (close) you are able to pull it off, and c) how much time you have to experiment, time available at tracking' vs time to do it mixing. (is this gambling with your our stuff or tracking someone else? A possible big factor.)
Effects as part of a guitar sound might be cooler to go with vs recreating it later. Generally, 'how wet' (let alone which wet ;)) to make things before you have the mix if pretty tough.

6) Any guidelines you would recommend when recording guitar? I've seen some folks recommend a high shelf at 6Khz to kill off harsh top end...
Most would say move the mic or fix the source. Then to tune in in the mix depending on how far off your guess was, see above. There are few 'givens. High pass to clean up low end is common but...

Okay - lay it on me - I want to get my brain around this once and for all! ;)
You and me both dude. ;)

Back