Review of Rode NT4 microphone

dougw2007

I have been recording my boys playing bluegrass music with kevin pace and the early edition at live performances for five years. I was always striving to get better sound, I've tried getting the sound from the sound board and better camera mics. This time I decided to take a chance and buy a decent mic and place it right on stage with them. I bought the Rode NT4 because I also wanted to get some feeling of stereo in the final mix. We hooked the Rode NT4 up to a Zoom R16 recorder and the bass was fed from a pickup/direct box. The bass player has a background in audio so he mixed the three tracks. All in all I feel this is the best sound we have ever gotten.
Doug

Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Do you have a clip you can share? I've always hesitated to consider stereo mics like that, for some reason.

I've recorded many bluegrass performances with the Zoom H4n.
Just by setting it in the semicircle of the performers and have had great results that way as well.

I did put a video review of the mic up on amazon. When I first tried to post here my posts kept getting blocked, I can't post a url because of the ten post rule for new people.

I looked at the H4n real hard and came close to pulling the trigger a couple of times. We finally decided on the Zoom R16 because it offered more flexibility for similar money. Although we still had to spring for the mic.

We are going to the recording studio next month and I plan on bringing the NT4 with me. We can experiment with it there, and I am interested in hearing how it sounds compared to what mics he has been using. We have been there twice before and it's a small studio so experimentation is okay.

One son plays the banjo and the other the fiddle so we are always trying to get those to sound good.

Doug

Yeah the NT4 is a cracking piece of Kit.

I usually use it to capture the room in places and spot micing other things.
You also don't get any phase issues when summing to mono because the capsules are so close together!

Back