Review my vocal skills

Elyst

hey everyone,

I was hoping I could get some honest review about my vocal skills so I know what to improve, what to work on and become a better singer.

In the links bellow there's a song I posted on the mp3 clinic (you can find the post there easily and I explain the because of the circumstances of not having much time and not being able to make much noise, my voice is not at its best.
The rest of the recordings are medleys of jams and other ideas of mine...

Rocket powered British snail

Jaywalkers medley

(If I ever get a real band I'd love it to be called "the Jaywalkers"... maybe one day... - I'm just explaining the reason of the title xD)

Medley
this one has a funny track I really like, I think my back vocals look good in it. :)
an theres an all vocals mini track that was an experiment of mine.

So hope you guys can provide some constructive reviews of my voice.
Just please be gentle, my heart can't take too much insults :p

Thanks for reading

Well i know how it can be starting out so here is what i hear.

1.) Your performance lacks confidence, you sound very timid
2.) There are many spots that are out of key, either sharp or flat
3.) The vox need some compression also to even things out a bit, but this could also change when you give a little more confident performance

If i were you i would get some vocals training personally, or at list pick up some DVD's on singing, or perhaps books. And practice, practice, practice. I can hear the idea of what you are trying to convey here, but it is just not there from a performance standpoint. Hope that was gentle enough for you. Keep at it though, and you'll be amazed at how far you can take it. Also hang onto these initial tracks so you can measure your progress when you are more capable a singer.

thanks for the constructive critics :)

I do have a few questions, so to answer to your points.
1- quite true... I'm working on it but it takes time and it's not easy. Though I think there's one song in the medley where I'm quite conformable and get a pretty good sound from my voice, not sure you guys can figure out the lyrics but it's one of the songs I talk about chocolate cakes lol I'm aiming for that tone and improving it of course

(I'm jumping point 2 because I agree with you and I will work on it, but I have little more to say about it besides what I already stated, so this makes it quicker so I can get to practice lol)

3- Compression you say ... is there a cheap way I can get that without buying any compressors? Maybe a cubase or guitar rig preset will do the job.

I'm thinking of Building a Cajon for future drum recordings out of pylewood.

Last edited:
Just want to say congratulations for having the courage to put it out there and accept the criticism. I am an opera singer, and the only way my technique really took off was when I was able to find people who were honest with me on things that I didn't have a clue about.
Most people just pretend that they're great and publish music with horrible singing, and no attempt at improvement.

Thanks Absolutepower : ) I appreciate your kind words.

One of the things that always bothered me was the fact that I recorded a song and when I played it back my voice sounded weird and I didn't like it, I thought (do people ear THIS when I talk??? my voice sounds much better the way I ear it myself as I talk (or sing)).

I'm still not getting a full control over my singing, it's easy to get out of key and that ruins a song.
I'm willing to work on it... maybe not by getting a teacher since I've been really busy and barely find time to practice on my own. But I will find some reading material about it and watch some videos. I already subscribed to the singing success emails. I just need some time to catch up with the watching xP

Thanks everyone, if there is any other detail you might want to point out that needs improvement you have but to name it.
I'm also open to criticism about my general music composing. The last medley's were entirely made by me (the other I had some help from some friends of mine)

Back