Review/Check out My Band: AQUEOUS

Nick The Man

Hello everyone! I have posted some mix critiques in the MP3 section of my band... but for some reason it never struck me to just make a thread to just check us out. So, here it is. Check us out, tell me what you think. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AQUEOUS
http://www.myspace.com/aqueousband

:cool:THANKS:cool:

Banner-3.gif

Last edited:
track one

not all delay and or reverb is created equal
background vocals or effects pick 1
sounds like theres a timming problem
or i just dont like the double time on the hats
the effected guitar phaser is annoying and almost drowns your whole mix

track 2
i got bored by 1 min and skipped it

track3
mix is annoying so much so its hard to listen to skipped it in 42 seconds

track 4
nice boxy drum beat the kick is not center annoying at best
the mix is to off center and way to muddy killed it at 1:44
the live recording = epic fail

only thing i can say positive you know how to get good classic rock solo tones and the guitar playing is top notch in that reguard but your music is not listenable at least not by my standards

and yes im a bright ray of sunshine :D

wow what a cock :eek: I think we could definitely use some constructive critiscm, but your taking that a little far. And it is obviously not your favorite style of music, which isn't helping. I was suprised to hear your comments on the mixes, which I will certainly consider when mixing these songs and future songs. Although, almost everyone else that commented when I posted these songs in the MP3 Clinic really enjoyed the mix. Another thing is, we are not signed or anything, or have even gone to a professional studio. These are all done in my basement, so they're not going to be top notch, nor to they need to be. Lastly, the live recording was not done by me and we know its shitty, it was two mics placed in the crowd... thats it!

Anyways, thanks for the considerations. Maybe we need a reality check... we thought bar owners were dicks... until they heard us play.

Here's my two cents -

Like I've said before, I think they are great recordings for what they are. They do sound like very well recorded home recordings though. I think the thing you should focus on next is depth. These have almost none. The sound starts behind the speakers a bit, and that's pretty much where everything sets. You need to get some of the sound out in front of the speakers, and push some elements back. Especially since this is kinda "spacey" psychedelic inspired rock. Great opportunity for that here.

I dig the music, very similar in style to what I played for years (only not as well :D)

Anyway, just my opinion.

:D

See now thats some excellent information. I feel like your always opening my eyes to something new NL5. I have always felt they have really lacked something. Depth... I never woulda thought of that. And now here I am researching depth in a mix all day.

I feel I have a general understanding, but I need to try it all out. I actually remember posting up some tracks for everyone to mix, and you mentioned depth then too. I think you said you used three different reverbs, excellent idea. And it seems like that is what many of these articles mention as well.

Thanks again NL

I will pass all your kind words about the music to the rest of the band... we have alot of fun with this style of music. :cool:

Last edited:
wow what a cock

lol ok i forced myself to listen to track 2 a lil more lay off the phaser or find a way to lower the volume of it more. the effect is cool but it's over powering. Actully these "home recordings" as far as tracking are conserned are alot better then the last 4 or so mix critiques I've heard lately. You have usable tracks for mixing and I really like the lead guitar tones. To be quite honest the elements are there for a great mix. You have an idea where things should go but need help getting there do you like that better? Depth would make the mix a lot better giving the tracks a kind of 3 dementional feel where everything doesnt sound so up front would help alot

Very Cool!

I love guitar inter play and you guys are not bad at all. I actually like the use of phase/vibe/wah effects (being kind of an effect junkie myself). I'm listening as I write this...there are some great hooks. Love that vintage overdrive/delay ala David Gilmour in the first number! I also hear some Umphrey's type stuff (second tune)...very nice. Can you tell I like Jam bands? I'm keeping an eye on you guys...let me know if you ever play in Michigan.

lol ok i forced myself to listen to track 2 a lil more lay off the phaser or find a way to lower the volume of it more. the effect is cool but it's over powering. Actully these "home recordings" as far as tracking are conserned are alot better then the last 4 or so mix critiques I've heard lately. You have usable tracks for mixing and I really like the lead guitar tones. To be quite honest the elements are there for a great mix. You have an idea where things should go but need help getting there do you like that better? Depth would make the mix a lot better giving the tracks a kind of 3 dementional feel where everything doesnt sound so up front would help alot

haha, people always respond when you call them a cock! It's all good man, I just wanted to learn something out of this thread... now this is good feedback here. I appreciate the comments, I am still far away from where I want to be as far as mixing goes. At the same time, I am light years away from where I first was... so progress is being made. You're right I need some help to make these tracks really shine, I feel my mixes lack clarity... maybe depth will clear this up?

I love guitar inter play and you guys are not bad at all. I actually like the use of phase/vibe/wah effects (being kind of an effect junkie myself). I'm listening as I write this...there are some great hooks. Love that vintage overdrive/delay ala David Gilmour in the first number! I also hear some Umphrey's type stuff (second tune)...very nice. Can you tell I like Jam bands? I'm keeping an eye on you guys...let me know if you ever play in Michigan.

Thanks so much man. I see your style is right on cue with what we like... and what we try to play. Jam bands are the shit. It's funny you mention the David Gilmour tone because between him and Jake Cinninger (Umphreys lead), they are defintiely our guitar players biggest influences. We are all huge fans... Phish, moe., Umphrey's, you name it!

We can only hope that some day we're big enough to come out to michigan... in which we will notify you haha

take it easy mann:cool:

Well, keep up the good work!

You guys just need to keep developing your sound. Perhaps add some keyboards (if only for your live gigs), like some Hammond B3 type stuff. Really though, I like the way the two guitarists play off each other (like the guys in Umphrey's do). The other thing the Umph's do is improvise on the spot during their live gigs...that takes some serious balls. Anyway, good luck out there and have fun!!

Yeah, we always talk about keyboards... we just aren't sure if we want another member or not, the five of us just naturally worked out so well. We're all great friends. But anyways, I forgot to put this in the original post.

Our videos on youtube... they're all HD as well!

Check out mind games and mosquito valley... those are two newer songs still being fine tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AqueousBand

Back