reverse reverb

sota30002000

How do you get reverse reverb as a plug-in, do you have to tweek a normal reveb plug in, or is there a predesigned effect which is already set to do this. Any direction in this matter would be greatly appreciated

the way i've done it is to reverse your sound file...add the reverb...then reverse it back. you gotta experiment on some files to get it just right

I do it the same way as benny. Reverse the track, add reverb, render the track, reverse it again.

Hmmmm. I've gotta try that. What does it do for the track? I can't see the benefit (cause I'm stoopid)...

it just adds a cool reverb trail....leading up to the beginning of the transient. Tool's used it a lot on stuff. you can get some freaky sounds out of it. I wouldn't use it on an entire track...but maybe leading into a few beginnings of verses or sections. Might sound overused if every note has a reverse reverb tail on it

bennychico11 said:
it just adds a cool reverb trail....leading up to the beginning of the transient. Tool's used it a lot on stuff. you can get some freaky sounds out of it.
Thanks. I am going to experiment with it. Think it will work on an acoustic guitar track?

You can get some cool stuff with reverse delay as well...'course, isnt that just another kind of reverb...maybe...i dunno..

experiment...like i added above, it works really well on transient instruments. Might sound cool on electric guitar on a hard strum pattern.

thajeremy said:
You can get some cool stuff with reverse delay as well...'course, isnt that just another kind of reverb...maybe...i dunno..

yeah, they're both time based effects...but have slight differences

Rokket said:
Hmmmm. I've gotta try that. What does it do for the track? I can't see the benefit (cause I'm stoopid)...
Do you remember that scary movie with the little girl caught in the TV? It was poltergeist. She said mommy. There was this freaky effect on her voice. That is reverse reveb.

Last edited:
Speaking of reverse reverb, here is a cool technique I used once on my portastudio. Unfortunately it ate up three of the four tracks, but on the desktop it shouldn't be a problem:

1) basic track, panned to center
2) duplicate of 1), add lots of reverb and pan hard to one side
3) duplicate of 1), add loads of REVERSE reverb (using your preferred method) and pan hard to opposite side

Result: reverb appears to whoosh by you from one side to the other. Nifty.

cheers

Billy S.

Farview said:
Do you remember that scary movie with the little girl caught in the TV? It was poltergeist. She said mommy. There was this freaky effect on her voice. That is reverse reveb.
I have to watch the movie again. It's been years. I am going to play with this when I get home tonight. I got caught up in the stream of life this weekend, and any chances I had beyond looking at my gear were null....

There were a lot of songs in the 80's that had this effect on the snare drum. Once you try it and hear what it is, you will remember hearing it somewhere else.

Farview said:
There were a lot of songs in the 80's that had this effect on the snare drum. Once you try it and hear what it is, you will remember hearing it somewhere else.
Is that the effect they used on the drums in the 3rd verse of "Rock You Like A Hurricane" by Scropions?

That is it. If you use it on vocals, it has a much creepier effect. For drums, you want to use a very dense reverb or else the effect doesn't cut.

Farview said:
That is it. If you use it on vocals, it has a much creepier effect. For drums, you want to use a very dense reverb or else the effect doesn't cut.
I am definitely going to play with it tonight. I'll post some results in this thread so that others can get a good idea what it can do...

Back