reverse polarization

powerkor

I've read that you can get a better captured crack of the snare with a mic placed on the snare bed side if it has reverse polarization.

I have sm57's, how hard is it to rewire one to get it so it works right? (can you even do that?)

Yeh reversing the top & bottom mics phase can get rid of cancellation.

What sort of sound card have you got?

My delta 44 has phase reverse switches on each input

You can get an inline xlr phase reverse adapter. Just make sure you mark it! That way you don't need to rewire your mic. Or just rewire a short xlr cable and put it between your mic and regular cable.

Something I just read somewhere- when placing the mics, make sure they both point towards the same spot, ie look where the mics are pointing and have them intersect inside the drum and be at equal distance. Supposed to help with phase issues.

Don't know how impt. this is, I've never done it, just mic'ed top and bottom and mixed 'em. I'm gonna try it, tho.

i dont have it go into a sound card, but a vm88 fostex mixer, then the optical cable goes into an optical in card... im workin' on buyin an adat compatible card, because the mixer supports it, but for right now, thats what i got.

you think theres an option on the mixer?

This is all assuming you're using two mics, of course. Reversing polarity on a single mic should have no effect on anything.

it can be of help.

especially whaen recording drums, PHASE can be a phantom nightmare on your over all sound. a good way too see if you have phase issues is to put the drum tracks i.e. snare, in mono and flip the phase reverse on one of the tracks, (assuming your editor can do this) If you hear an addition in the bass and fullness of the two tracks, then A) you had phase problems and B) you for the most part have fixed it. This also can salvage phased out over heads. But if you use X-y u shouldnt have that problem.

peace.

xfinsterx said:
especially whaen recording drums, PHASE can be a phantom nightmare on your over all sound. a good way too see if you have phase issues is to put the drum tracks i.e. snare, in mono and flip the phase reverse on one of the tracks, (assuming your editor can do this) If you hear an addition in the bass and fullness of the two tracks, then A) you had phase problems and B) you for the most part have fixed it. This also can salvage phased out over heads. But if you use X-y u shouldnt have that problem.

peace.
as for getting more CRACK out of your snare. 1)sm57 on the top head, through a bbe with the highs slighly boosted. 2.) BLUE "baby bottle" on the bottom (not pointed at the chains) through a ua 610 line input with the 4.5k boosted 6db. then gate it a bit and slam it with an 1176.
This snare will knock a hole in you fore head.

peace.

Back