Reverend Goblin vs. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

Adam B

Been doing a little research on different amps.

I currently have a HRDx that I hardly use because it is entirely TOO LOUD to get a OD tone out of at practice volumes.

The HRDx is 40w and I'm thinking that I could either swap out the speaker for one with a higher resistance or just go with something smaller.

My main venu is my living room and I do mainly computer recording, and occassionally jamming with someone else (when time allows).

SO.. what I am looking for in an amp is:

Simplicity. I don't need a million knobs or any effects, but reverb, two guitar inputs, a ine out for recording and a speaker out would be nice. (HRDx has multiple drive settings, which I don't really need).

A nice clean tone. (HRDx has this in spades).

A line out to run to my mixer that mutes the speaker (HRDx doesn't do this).

Low wattage. (only need enough volume to play a small room. HRDx is more than I need here.)

Nice break up, OD tones. (I play mostly blues/rock, don't need anything heavier sounding). HRDx sounds good in most cases, but "blah" in others.

Economical. ($500 or less price tag. I am not a pro, or steadily giging player, can't justify spending $$$$ on gear).

Okay, that being said I have been checking out the Reverend Goblin (http://www.reverenddirect.com/reverend/amps_etc/goblin.html)

It offers an all tube design with a power switching feature (5w or 15w) and is around the same price as the HRDx. It also seems to have a nice tone, but I have yet to play through theis reverend model (only played through the Hellhound).

SO...

Any of you all have a suggestion as to something close to either?

Last edited:
Back