Reverb!

midwesttribune

I was told rap uses a small reverb in the back for some reason. For rap vocals can someone give me the typical reverb settings. Input, Mix %, Algorithm, Size, Diffusion, decay, Pre-delay, Hf cut, Lp filter. an maybe explain why rap uses this technique, thanks a lot.

No one is going to be able to give you the correct settings to use for your song, especially without hearing it.

Mess with the settings until they sound right.

What I do, is turn Wet up to 100% and/or Dry down to 0%. Then you can hear just the reverb effect and what kind of reverb is being added.

Then mess with whatever other parameters/options are on there until you get the right sound of reverb.

Then turn the Dry up and Wet down until you get the right amount. That is really all there is to it.

The high pass/low pass EQ stuff is like a normal EQ but I believe it just effects the reverb signal.

That would make a good chance pick a few tracks that might have used that kind of verb on them, and try to pick out what it is doing or sounds like. Then you'll have a bit of a target. Was it 'a small verb' (Small Room for example), or a small amount of verb?

Try delay first. Set the feedback to 0, delay time to around 40-120ms and turn down the volume of it until you just barely hear it.

I was told rap uses a small reverb in the back for some reason. For rap vocals can someone give me the typical reverb settings. Input, Mix %, Algorithm, Size, Diffusion, decay, Pre-delay, Hf cut, Lp filter. an maybe explain why rap uses this technique, thanks a lot.

Two things help make a hip hop vocal: A stereo delay (sometimes pitch shifted 9 cents down and 9 cents up on the other side) at 15ms and 30ms, and good doubling aka add libs where the end of phrases are tightly doubled. Try it.

Last edited:
No one is going to be able to give you the correct settings to use for your song, especially without hearing it.

Mess with the settings until they sound right.

What I do, is turn Wet up to 100% and/or Dry down to 0%. Then you can hear just the reverb effect and what kind of reverb is being added.

Then mess with whatever other parameters/options are on there until you get the right sound of reverb.

Then turn the Dry up and Wet down until you get the right amount. That is really all there is to it.

The high pass/low pass EQ stuff is like a normal EQ but I believe it just effects the reverb signal.

I'm not sure what the advantage of bringing the dry signal into an Aux would do - you only want to be introducing the 'verb sound via Aux, right. All the original signal needs to be coming post fader, not from anywhere else, I'd say.

I'm not sure what the advantage of bringing the dry signal into an Aux would do - you only want to be introducing the 'verb sound via Aux, right. All the original signal needs to be coming post fader, not from anywhere else, I'd say.

Um...:confused:

Most reverb plugins have a wet/dry ratio that you can set. I don't use an aux as far as I know...I just add the effect onto the track itself.

Either way is fine, insert or aux. If a verb is only going to be used on one track, then there's no reason to put it on an aux buss, and the wet/dry mix cntl can be used. If it's going to be used on more than one track, aux it and set it 100% wet.

One of the handy reasons to send to an aux verb rather than inserting verb inline is that it allows you to set the verb and/or delay in the pan space as desired, seperate from the dry signal.

I doubt that these days that there is one way that's the most common for hip hop any more than there is for any other music genre. Perhaps 20 years ago there was a follow-the-leader formula for a while, but the genre has matured now to so many sub-genres and production styles, that asking for a "hip hop formula" is kind of like asking for a "rock and roll formula" that'll cover everything from the Ventures to Coldplay. Hell, there isn't even one that covers the Beatles from '62 to '67. Same thing when one tries covering everything from early Dre to recent Ghostface Killah in one shot.

G.

Either way is fine, insert or aux. If a verb is only going to be used on one track, then there's no reason to put it on an aux buss, and the wet/dry mix cntl can be used.

There are lots of reasons why not. It really depends what you are trying to do. I can't think of a single reason that putting it as an insert would be beneficial..........

i always use reverb on a send, but my philosophy on reverb is: don't use it unless absolutely freaking necessary! especially on VOX. i hate when vocals have too much verb....delay sounds cooler IMO.

I don't know shit about aux's.

I'm guessing the Waves RVerb is meant to be used on an aux though because it defaults to 100% wet? :confused:

I know this info is probably readily available but could someone maybe give a brief explanation of how an aux works?

I use sends/receives (busses?) through Reaper's routing I/O stuff but never really bothered to learn what all the shit meant.

I don't know shit about aux's.

I'm guessing the Waves RVerb is meant to be used on an aux though because it defaults to 100% wet? :confused:
They just picked the more typical routing's setting - verb on a bus fed by aux sends from the tracks.
There are two ways to route effects;
Series (inserted in the track bin)
..and Parallel, an aux split-off ('send') of the dry sent to the effects inserted on a sub buss. (receive' or 'effects return'.)

In an inserted series-style (track effects bin), the effects mix is in the verbs 'wet dry mix'. (Actuall the verb's 'wet/dry' mix is doinig it's own mini-parallel split internally..

I know this info is probably readily available but could someone maybe give a brief explanation of how an aux works?

I use sends/receives (busses?) through Reaper's routing I/O stuff but never really bothered to learn what all the shit meant.
Danny,

An Aux bus is really nothing more than a send bus with a send level gain control on each of the channel strips.

It varies betweem mixer models as to whether there are dedicated return inputs for any given Aux bus; sometimes you just use a dedicated return (or pair of returns for stereo verb), other times you might have to use up another channel strip line in as the return path.

Because you can send more than one channel strip to an Aux bus with individual volume control on each channel, Aux busses are often used for alternate mixes like headphone mixes and stage monitor mixes.

They are also commonly used for spacial/room effects like reverb and delay, not only because more than one track can be sent to them, but because one can then have individual pan space control on the return. An easy example is a stereo reverb or room modeler which will require a stereo return. Another example is if you want to have a track panned left and a mono reverb or elay panned right.

G.

Back