Reverb "thunder"

Here you go, unstrap the tank from the amp, bounce away.

You know I have no reason to doubt the 'don't move the amp till the tubes cool' thing, at the same time, I have to wonder with the 110+db vibration hours on end going on back there.

Yes unstrapping the tank would be a good alternative. You are also right about the vibration which is why the smart people don't set their tube heads on top of the speaker cab. It's also a good reason not to use combo amps.

I am doing a theater gig. One song, they needed some "thunder" and I crank up the reverb on this old crap peavey classic I am using and bump it until it goes "KERANG!"

What is the risk of damage?

This amp is the old SS pre and tube power amp. Where is going to be the point of failure? I thought it was making a kind of weird noise after about the 6th time I did it. I am considering not doing it, but it just sounds so freaking awesome.

Totally awesome effect for dub reggae. You could even do it live.. Just pound the goddamn thing with your fist on the one...

Here you go, unstrap the tank from the amp, bounce away.

You know I have no reason to doubt the 'don't move the amp till the tubes cool' thing, at the same time, I have to wonder with the 110+db vibration hours on end going on back there.

Which is why every tube combo I have ever owned has been 10x more prone to destroying tubes. ...and by destroy, I don't mean quit working, I mean where when you pull one and shake it by your ear it sounds like a salt shaker.

If you have a combo amp with a rattle and you wonder where it comes from, it comes from the tubes it ruined.

That's just the reverb tank springs bumping around. But the opamp circuitry it's connected to amplifies it so much, you get a horrendous crash. Even gently knocking those springs together will create an explosion of sound.

Physically there is little or no chance of damage to the reverb tank or springs. This page shows what's inside:

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/reverb.htm

So imagine what you would have to do to shake that tank to the point where the springs break. In practice, you probably couldn't even if you tried. If it did break, it would probably be a simple matter of unscrewing it and hooking the springs back on to what whatever they are supposed to be clipped to.

Agreed. As a compromise, though, if you want THAT sound without having to do it over and over and over again, why not stick a mic in front of it, record the thunderous clang, and sample and use that?

BTW, I pussed out and started using a lame-assed keyboard for it. I do play it with my forearm, though.

I am doing a theater gig. One song, they needed some "thunder" and I crank up the reverb on this old crap peavey classic I am using and bump it until it goes "KERANG!".

You can probably find lots of thunder sound clips/samples...if you want the real thing.

Back