reverb, panning, etc... your comments please

CotW

i've recently completed some songs that can be found at

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1608&alid=-1

the first one, "drinking song," is just a quick demo.

Evaporated and Pictures were a little more involved. I'm still not sure how i feel about some of the mixing, especially the reverb on vocals and the crazy panning on "evaporated."

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jake

Hello CotW,

I listened to "Pictures".

Overall it's a solid tune performance and arrangment wise.

I'd cut back on the vocal verb or change it so it's not so loose and roomie. Same with the back up vox.

the gits need to go up in the mix, you've some nice texture in the little fills on the right that are not being fully utilized and the momentum and dynamic changes that the git on the right would lend are being short changed cause they're so quiet.

The dymanic is kinda lost. The chorus is well built with backup vox and the gits but, the mix seems to hold back too much. It almost has too much patience and poise. I'd get more agressive with it. Does that make any sence at all?:rolleyes.

Hope you're pickin' up what I'm layin' down (which isn't all that much in terms of quality assitance:)).

Cool tune. I like the performance and writing. I'd add some spice to the mix though.

Peace,

Theron.

Well......evaporated's the best tune to me, both in the tune and the mix. I do hear some intonation problems in the vocal harmonies. I thought it was the only song where you had the vocal up loud enough. I guess I've become a crawdad desciple in that I'm noticing most people don't get the vocals up enough. I think yours was high enough in evaporated but not the other two.
I didn't mind the 'verb myself. That's one of those creative descisions where you can go a lot of different ways and have them all sound good......just different.
theron covered everything else.

I listened to Pictures.

I liked the song quite a bit. Nice melody and feel to it. If "Friends" ever gets a spin off show, this could be the theme song. Seriously, good job.

On to the mix...

I had trouble hearing the different parts. I would concentrate on EQing to separate them a bit more. One of the guitars needs to be brought up in the mix. I also had trouble hearing the bass, but I'm listening on cheap headphones, so I can't comment on that for sure. I heard a real nice bass riff at about 2:56 - but it didn't come out enough.

The backing harmonies are a real nice touch. But they seem to be a bit "heavy." You might want to back off some lows, and boost them some at the higher end of the the low range (maybe at 600-800 or so).

The lead vocal seems very compressed. I'm not sure if it really is, or it was just sung that way. But I would like to hear a bit more dynamic in that part. Did you use a pop filter? It seemed like that were a couple of hard edges to some of the words.

Just listened to Drinking Song -- This song has potential. I hear harmony and strings, and some drums to top it off. Nice melody and good moody feel to it. I liked your vocals as well, they fit the song well. This was a good demo.

I tried listening to Pictures, but wasn't able to connect for some reason.

Anyway, good demo and I look forward to hearing more!

Thanks for the help.

I agree with pretty much everything said.
In "Pictures" I think I'm just going to rerecord the 2nd guitar (the one that does the fills) because it was left kind of back in the mix because it wasnt played that well! I'll try it again.

With regard to vocals, I'll try bringing the level up a little and see how that works and then tweak the background vox.

Thanks again for the comments. anyone else?

Cot listening to Pictures now. I like it. I would suggest bringing up the vocal a little with less effects. Maybe add a little high eq to the snare so it pops more. Actually, the more I'm listening to it, I think I'd bring up the bass kick too. Good song.

One thing I learn more with every song is...don't bury it, re-do it. You had a reason for laying down that track, now follow it through til done what you can with it.

In addition to what's already been suggested...
00:35....BOOST IT! Both drums and guitar should be absolutely without inhibitions here. While I recognize it's a pretty sentimental song, dynamics are key...especially when it's sentimental! (Am I yelling? sorry.)

The buzz guitar in the chorus is annoying. It's too distracting. I'd try using your cleans more dynamicly in that part (around 1:40)...and bass.

These are opinions. It's a good song..The sound just needs some work me thinks.

A very good start IMO.

Back