Reverb on the whole mix?

powderfinger

Do any of you guys put one reverb on the whole final mix?

I had never really considered it, but saw that it's a function of Ozone's mastering plugin.....

Any thoughts?

Not a typical thing to do.... maybe if the recording is overly dry and totally lacking ambience.

More usual is different reverbs and different levels for individual tracks.

One reverb blanket over it all will tend to smear everything if not used very judiciously....

Last edited:
powderfinger said:

I had never really considered it, but saw that it's a function of Ozone's mastering plugin.....

Any thoughts?

I never did it and probably never will.

it usually makes the song sound like it was recorded for bon jovi in the mid 80's. a very dated technique that can sound really cool in certain circumstances. don't rule it out, don't do it too often (maybe twice in a lifetime)!

I thought using varying amounts of the same reverb on all the tracks was supposed to make the mix gel better.When you're mostly DI recording , anyway.

grinder said:
I thought using varying amounts of the same reverb on all the tracks was supposed to make the mix gel better.When you're mostly DI recording , anyway.
It can, but that's not what he's talking about.... he's wondering about using reverb on an overall mix.

Blue Bear Sound said:
It can, but that's not what he's talking about.... he's wondering about using reverb on an overall mix. [/QUOTE

Ahhh!Sorry Teacher, I wasn't paying attention.

powderfinger said:

Any thoughts?

This is ocassionally done during mastering to fix bad fade outs and add a tail.

Possibly makes sense if you are recording an ensemble to 2 tracks and the room is dry, or for voice-over work when making a commercial for used cars.

when i record songs that are acoustic guitar and vox only...i use this reverb...i don't put it on the guitar or vox track individually..only on the ozone master (aka, the entire mix). it sounds fine, but i never find myself lifting that percent wet above 15. usally below 10, so that it is hardley audible.

I usually use two different reverbs and like Bruce said, my sends are different for each channel so it's not really a blanket reverb.

I use a room reverb to give it a little space and then a bright room reverb to give it some air. Seems to work good for me.

While I never send the entire mix thru reverb on the way to a 2-track mix - I may commit one effects send to a specifc room reverb which I dial in on almost every track - to give the feel that everything was recorded "in one space".

Naturally, this requires a very, very subtle amount of verb (normally a very short, bright verb). This can work well without creating mud (but subtle is the key)

I then use the remaining F/X sends to dial in specific verbs/delays for the lead vocal, snare, guitars, etc. etc.

I've done it on occasion. IMO it can help to bring a mix together. Usually I would only go to 3-4% wet on on entiire mix, just to make everything sound like it's in the same space.

Obviously from the earlier posts, other mileages do vary.

I did this recently on a mix because it seemed like everything was way too dry...so I dumped in some cheap reverb on the whole mix (apparenly WAY too much) when I listen to it now, it sounds like it's being played in the back of an airplane hanger. I basically had to go back and remix the whole damn thing with a bit more reverb on everything, and that sounded A LOT better.

I did reverb this way for a while. It's not great. It was perfect for one song where I wanted it to sound like the whole band was playing in a shopping mall. A touch of it with some low pass filter may be worth checking out to recue a track that can't be remixed.

i always thought/heard..that reverb over the entire mix "smooths out" the mix....everything just seems to sit better. to me...with some reverb..i mean very little to the point you can barely hear it...

Back