REVERB...Next step up...PCM-80 that great?

vwcsonic

Hi,

I'm like probably many here that has pretty cheap reverbs and thinking of trying to improve that part of my rack. I've currently got a Lexicon MPX 100 and an Alesis Wedge. First, how much difference is it going to make to move up to say a PCM-80?

If it really worth making this move, is the PCM-80 the way to go? I see em used as low as $750 now. A little afraid of them because I've heard how complex some of the old Lexicon's, especially the PCM-70, are to work with.

Is there something between the cheapos, like the MPX 100, and the PCM-80? HOw about the TC M-one XL? Thanks

There are several units between the MPX-100 and PCM-80/81 worth considering. The main ones I can think of are the Kurzweil Rumour, Lexicon MPX-1, and TC M-One XL. Of those I would suggest the Rumour first, followed by the MPX-1.

But to answer your original question, there *is* a big difference between the MPX-100 and PCM-80. There's a difference between the MPX-1 and PCM-80 as well, just not quite as large.

If you are really looking for primarily a reverb, I'd suggest you try to find a PCM-90/91 at a good price. I prefer the reverb on those to the reverb in the PCM-80/81's.

Back