Revealing some Aardvark secrets..

FUNKY

You must have known reading the threads that I've bought Aardvark's 24/96 Directpro card..

Finally , after 3 night without sleeping I got some tips for better functioning and wiring of the card..

What did I find out?

1. the noise in the speakers resulted from the "heavy" output gain which creates the noise..I think that that is the common problem of everyone using Aardvark card with active monitors..Let say, I run my Dynaudio's on +4dB mode and when I chaned it into -10dB the noise was bigger..
What did i do? I decided to run the Aardvark output signal thru my Spiritfolio mixer and then in the channel , have set a higest gain and the lowered down the monitoring fader of the mixer..What happened? The signal was still loud and the noise dissapeared..I think that most of the Aardvark users have this problem :(

2. Problem with the preamps when recording vocals..
Aardvark has three levels of input's setting..First, the line out setting, then "Mic1" for normal miking and "Mic2" for "silent" microphones..When I wanted to record in "Mic1" technique noticed that the input gain goes between +33 to +52dB which was "peaking" mosto of the time.."MIc2 is set between +50 to +70dB..brrrr...And Line mode went between -14 to +10dB which was acceptable..
Cause I had no solution how to lower down the input gain of the mic, my only solution was to run my RODE thru the Folio mixer and then to re-route it vie line in of the input1. Then I could regulate the volume and input gain of the mic..:(((((
Correct me if I'm wrong..

3. My problem these days is the monitoring..
I have a breakout bow which is using the headphone's out and then it spreads the signal to use for 4 headphones( i think you know it ) I use this for singer's monitoring...
But..
The trouble is that the monitoring is poor..I dont hear it loud like I want to ...and can make some balance between the music and the voice ( when the singler sings)..He complains that he is not hearing his voice well and that the music is covering him..
I tried everything with the settings and found out that he hears good when I turn up his fader up, but then It peaks and don;t know what to do?
Can anyone help me with this "monitoring problem"???

Thanx guys
Will give you more info of Aardvark's card

FUNKY

As for the monitoring.

What type of routing does the aark direct offer? This is what I do, on the the delta (i did this on the aark as well, not your model though).

You should be able to assign the inputs of the aark, to different outputs on the aark. This would be done via their 'control panel' applet.

So, for example:

- Vocal mic coming in input 1 of the aark.
- Re-Route the output 4 of the aark so that it is monitoring the input 1 of the aardvark(via the aark control panel).
- Run a cable from output 4 to a spare channel of your mixer.

BTW this is not using the headphone out on the aark in anyway.

For your main stereo mix, use outputs 1 and 2 of the aark, again into spare faders on your mixer. (i'm assuming your already doing this)

You end up with two independent control points. One fader controls the overall stereo mix, the other the level of the vocal only. Balancing between your main output fader, and the other 2 faders you should be able to come up with an acceptable balance.

This does depend a bit on your mixer flexibility, and your aark routing capability, but I think this could work for you.

thanx a lot, but..

thanx emeric
so..
what did I do?

mic in the mixer and then go in input1- regulate the vocal gain from fader of the mixer

output 1,2 - thru mixer in two channels- two faders..

but..I hear the mic thru the two ouput channels, right?

so, ok..I agree with your setup..but..where I should put on the headphones?

in the mixer's headphone's or in the aardvark's headphones?

(I have a problem with monitoring and headphones with my mixer - can only monitor or only use headphone's!!!!)
That's why I bought Aardvark for monitoring thru headphones..

What should I do?

Can I somehow listen thru headphones the balanced mic and music????

Thanx
FUNKY

are you using a headphone amp? you said something about a breakout box with four headphone outs...if you have a headphone amp, which one is it?

pardon me if i missed something, but you are saying you can't just hook up powered monitors to the aardvark without getting unwanted noise? which outputs are you using on the aardvark to go into the monitors?

if you are recording a single vocal with the aardvark i don't see why you would even need a mixer, unless you want some additional processing on the front end , before going into the aardvark....i think this is especially true if you are monitoring everything thru headphones and you have a headphone amp....but maybe i'm missing something....

Re: thanx a lot, but..

FUNKY said:
mic in the mixer and then go in input1- regulate the vocal gain from fader of the mixer

Not exactly what I meant. Set the gain going the input of your soundcard using either the preamps on your mixer, or the preamp on the soundcard. If using your mixer pre's, once you have a good signal, leave the fader where it is.

To monitor the vocal mic without changing the output signal your sending to the soundcard:

Using the digital patchbay in the aardvark control panel, you should be able to have output 4 monitor input 1 - your vocal mic. Using a 1/4" patch cable, you could send this signal back into a free channel on your mixer and control it's playback volume.

So, the setup could be something like this:

Aark - Outputs 1 and 2 into a stereo input fader (looks like channels 9&10 from the picture) on your mixer, you could then use one fader to adjust playback. This would be the mix coming out of your software (who's virtual outputs should also be going to 1/2 on the aark)

So you could have the vocal signal coming out of output four on the aark, into stereo channel 9 on the mixer. The main stereo mix coming out of outputs 1 & 2 of the aark into stereo channel 10 on the mixer. This way you could adjust just the vocal playback volume, with the main mix volume - all going out to your main L/R outputs to your poweramp/speakers.

Aark - Inputs. You have a lot of options here. Whether you decide to use the preamps on the aark, or the preamps on the mixer. Whatever works best.

output 1,2 - thru mixer in two channels- two faders..

I'd run it into the stereo inputs (channel 9 or 10), that way you can use one fader to control the stereo mix. Actually looking at the picture again you have line inputs as well along with the XLR's. However you prefer. Using 9 & 10 will free up all XLR's for micing though.

but..I hear the mic thru the two ouput channels, right?

The two outputs as in L/R on your mixer? Possibly. This depends on your mixer. There should be a way for you to send the mic signal to your soundcard, without it being send to the main outputs on your mixer. You could use the inserts as direct outs. Patch a cable from insert 1 to input one on the soundcard. Does the 'ON switch' stop the signal from going to the main L/R out faders or something else? You could always use the soundcards pre's instead, but I'm sure there is a way to do this with your mixer.

so, ok..I agree with your setup..but..where I should put on the headphones?

in the mixer's headphone's or in the aardvark's headphones?

(I have a problem with monitoring and headphones with my mixer - can only monitor or only use headphone's!!!!)
That's why I bought Aardvark for monitoring thru headphones..

What should I do?

Can I somehow listen thru headphones the balanced mic and music????

I'd use the mixer headphone out. This way your listening to fader 9 (the vocal) and fader 10 (the main mix). When you plug headphones into your mixer, it disengages the speakers?

Lots and lots of options for routing with your setup. The control panel/digital routing offers a lot of flexibility.

Back