Reveal Actives + sub

mcr

Browsing through the web, I happened to come across the PS110B which is a budget subwoofer by Tannoy. Apparently, quite a number of people on this BBS are happy with their Reveal Actives so I was wondering what the general opinion would be on a Reveal Active/PS110 combo?

I'm moving from the UK to NY in 2 months and I have no clue what room I will end up putting my euqipment into. However, Manhattan is probabbly too expensive to seriously allow myself to dream of more than a 12*18 space. I'm considering the Mackie 824 and the KRK V8 but since they're going to be used in small space, I'm afraid they might even sound worse than their smaller siblings (HR624 and V6 respectively). Are the 824 always better than the 624 - in any room of any size???

Then I thought, if I don't get the 824 or V8, I might as well look at the 6" Reveal actives ... and complementing those with a halfway decent sub should be better than not hearing anything really below the 60Hz range. Am I right? I'm certainly wondering if anyone would choose the 624 or V6 over a combination of Reveals+sub ?

what's with all the shyness?

Noone using the PS110B?
Are 8" monitors always better than their almost idential 6" brothers of the same family (e.g. Mackie HR824/624, Event PS8/6, JBL LSR28/25...)?

:)

mcr said:
Are 8" monitors always better than their almost idential 6" brothers of the same family...?

Well, eh, I think I can safely say no! :) Will you be needing examples to illustrate the point?

thank you ...

yes, examples would be highly appreciated. In what environments are 6 inchers better?

Well, I suspect that you might be better off without the sub if your room is gonna be really small. A sub will probably just trigger some of the room modes, and make things more difficult for you. When it comes to examples, many seem for example to like the BM6A (6.5") better then the bigger BM15A (10"), and generally it seems that its easier to get a good midrange out of a smaller cone. I'm no expert, but it probably has to do with weight and rigidity, and resulting resonances in the speaker cone.

Back