revalver any good?

I tried it. The sound was grainy and midrange-y, and the UI is awkward and slow to use.

Get a vst-dx wrapper, and then get Amplitube.

"I don't mind the taste!"

I've only used it to put a little distortion on the bass which it does adequately, but it's noisy like they've gone and simulated amp hum and dodgy leads

I've used ReValver for long time. It's great guitar effect plugin indeed, but I agree that Amplitube blows ReValver away. It's cheaper (now), has better GUI, easier, and off course, the sound is the main factor...

... for sure nothing beats POD :D

SoundBlaster joke...

Plug your guitar into Mic In, crank the level all the way up, hit record... you'll get the best distortion effect ever produced for thirty bucks. If they complain, tell them it's "new unique sound of your own". Most record company loves it... :D :D :D

James Argo said:
I've used ReValver for long time. It's great guitar effect plugin indeed, but I agree that Amplitube blows ReValver away. It's cheaper (now), has better GUI, easier, and off course, the sound is the main factor...

... for sure nothing beats POD :D

I tried Revalver, and am not overly impressed with any of these in-the-box modellers. I need to hear the tone and effects I am getting as I play it to play properly, and with Revalver, the latency was too much, even 10ms was too much to play properly to. I then rented POD, V-amp, and several other modellers to try out, and liked being able to hear it as I played it. I could run my guitar to a splitter box, send one lead to the modeller so I could hear it, and the other one got recorded clean (allowing me to try new patches after the fact). That was a great improvement. I ended up opting for the Johnson J-station, which I still use. 2 years of happy modelling.

Then I bought a 7W all-tube amp made by Garnet, and then I bought a 15W tube-pre Vox amp, then a 40W Fender all tube amp....I haven't touched modellers since as a real tube amp simply is unparalleled, IMHO, they are so responsive and sensitive to attack and dynamics, and micing options give you so many ways to capture a tone. I only use my J-station in teh FX loop of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with modelling off, simply as an FX unit. or I use it late at night when I can't make noise without waking the baby ("you woke him, you put him back to sleep"), and then I will record it as I work on tunes. BUT, I always end up replacing the J-station track with a mic'd amp track in the final mix.

What I found best about modellers was that as I began playing electric, I really had no idea what amp I should buy because it takes so long to figure out what your guitar "voice" is . The J quickly showed me that I am not a Boogie man, not a Marshall man, but that Fender and Vox were the tones that I responded to and played best with. Then I could start trying out real amps and keep trying new ones until I knew which one I wanted to buy. The J determined which tone I wanted to hunt for, a real amp made it happen to tape.

That is my personal experience with modellers, YMMV.

Back