returns

jp

Ok, this is a complete newbie question and I probably have a lot of my terminology wrong, so spare me...

I've been recording awhile, but I've never had a unit with aux/effects returns. I'm going to be upgrading soon, and I read something about newer digital units having the ability to use those extra return channels (ie, the md8 has two return channels) as extra inputs that mix into other tracks. IE, if I had a 4 track unit with 2 return channels I could plug in 6 mics and have the 2 other channels mix into like track 1 or whatever. Did I completely read this wrong or what?

:confused:

returns...whoops

Returns are for something completely different...If you want more inputs I suggest you just get a 1/4" splitter. Returns are for the internal effects out so that you can plug in effects units and use them with the signal. (Almost all recordings benefit from some compression and reverb.)

All you gotta do is plug in your reverb/compressor/multi-effect unit into the AUX or EFX SEND output of your multitrack machine and plug the output of the effects unit into one of the AUX returns on your multitrack.

I knew that that was their main fuction, but like I said I've read that you could use them as auxs that can simply be mixed on the fly with another channel.

jp, you're confusing the aux returns with the aux sends.
You can use the "AUX SEND" as extra inputs. Aux returns are just what they are; to return processed signals from an out-board processor back into the mixer.

Ahha! then you, my friend, have answered my question... the particular unit I was referring to's specs said that the 2 aux returns could also be used as sends!

Back