Returning my Audiophile 2496

KevinTran

Going back to my SB Live for now.

Audiophile cannot record internal pc audio going throught the Windows mixer.

Reply from MAudio tech support:

"Kevin,

Since the 2496 does not use the Windows Mixer the way the soundblaster card does, you are not going to be able to record like this. The 2496 functions by using the Mixer functions of whatever software it is attached to.

EB
Tech Support"

Oh well, when I'm ready for the real thing, I'll get a better card.

kt

Kevin...

what did you want to do?
if you wouldn't mind explaining the process you were hoping to achieve a little bit...

thanks.

Audiophile cannot record internal pc audio going throught the Windows mixer.
But that's a good thing!

I don't understand why you would return the card for that reason.

Many folks here are using that card to great effect. What are the problems you are having? You're bound to get them straightened out if you persist a bit more...

jazzrich9 said:
Kevin...

what did you want to do?
if you wouldn't mind explaining the process you were hoping to achieve a little bit...

thanks.

I don't play instruments (at least not yet). I only sing. So my original goal was to rip sound tracks from karoake dvd's and record vocal tracks. I use PowerDVD to do the recording. I had no problem with the SB live in conjunction with the Windows Mixer.

Since the Audiophile uses individual software mixer controls, it can't capture another program sound.

I'm not at all knocking teh Audiophile. For my immediate needs, it doesn't do what I want ( I assumed it did + get better vocal recording too ). I figure I'd make due with the SB live until I'm ready to add other music. Get one of the better Delta cards or something.

Oh...I did manage to record PowerDVD tracks but it had to leave the Audiophile --> external mixer --> back into Audiophile. Needless to say, it sounded like crap doing this. Sorry for the long explanation.

kt

??

I think you just didn't figure out how to do it.

My Delta plays all the audio on my PC. Windows sounds, CDs (if I use Winamp), anything but the MIDI output of the SB Live, but once that's converted to audio, it plays that too.

Just because it doesn't use the Windows mixer doesn't mean it can't be the default WAV device .

All I can imagine is that the PowerDVD only can work via the analog audio connector to the SB Live. Not a limitation of the Audiophile but rather of PowerDVD.

Anyway, it sounds like the SB Live is probably adequate for your needs anyway. What made you buy the Audiophhile anyway?

Super lame...figure it out.

There's a program called audiowire that will allow you to create virtual outputs that can be assigned from one program to another internally.

I got the Audiophile because it was created for recording. Figured I'd get better quality sound from it.

I definitely wasn't ready for it. Since I'm so new at home recording, I think most of my time should be spent on learning how to record, practice singing, whatever ... not figuring out how to configure the card's settings or how to make it work with different software. I tried asking questions here but the combination of soundcard, to PowerDVD, to Sonar, to All Editor, Windows mixer, ... it was just too unique to my problem, I couldn't get satisfactory solutions.

The playback PowerDVD was fine with the Audiophile. It just couldn't record what was being played. Maybe it was the card, maybe it was the software. I dunno. I spent a week figuring it out. Spoke with M-Audio, who said themselves it couldn't record audio played from other programs. So, I figure...it really shouldn't be this difficult. Thanks everyone for trying to help with this.

Maybe I'll return the card and get the DMP3.

kt

Why dont you connect the digital output to the digital input and record the digital in?

I am still struggling to understand what you are trying to do and why you are using powerdvd to record...?

Spoke with M-Audio, who said themselves it couldn't record audio played from other programs.

Nonsense. It can record anything that gets into the WAV data stream from any other application via any normal Windows recording software.

As I said before, it must be that PowerDVD could only work with the direct analog connection from the DVD player to the soundcard.

Back