Returning Mic a Healthcode Violation??????!

tonesponge

A Guitar Center employee told me if I buy a mic from them I can't return it because it is a healthcode violation. I see used mics for sale all over, and I don't see anything at Sweetwater that says you can't return a mic. Is it fact or fiction?

Same goes for headphones.

I think the general misconception is that musicians are dirty animals and that they roll around in their own feces. Which reminds me... I should go take a shower :D

Well dammit then. I wanted to buy the SM7B and the RE20 and try them both and return one. Now what am I supposed to do?

May be, lots of communicable diseases spread through saliva. You can't return underwear or a bathing suit. Personally I'd prefer used underwear to a used mic. I can run the unders through the laundry at least.

That's the way of the world. You probably would have better luck returning condoms then a used mic.

I think it all started in '85 when Tipper Gore went to her first GG Allin show :D

That's the way of the world. You probably would have better luck returning condoms then a used mic.

I think it all started in '85 when Tipper Gore went to her first GG Allin show :D

Oh God, the PMRC, Washington Wives, sounds like some Jackie Collins Hollywood fuckin' novel to me! They need it Harder, Faster!

Oh God, the PMRC, Washington Wives, sounds like some Jackie Collins Hollywood fuckin' novel to me! They need it Harder, Faster!

:D The PMRC makes me laugh.

I wonder what they are doing these days? They must be neck deep trying to review the colorful music of today!

Funny thing is you can return a microphone back to GC but not for what you payed for it. :-)mad:) They'll offer you like 20 cents on the dollar the turn around and sell it used for 70 cents on the dollar those f***ers.

And Greg I was in GG's band *The Jabbers* for two shows then I quit. Strange days back then.

:cool:

And Greg I was in GG's band *The Jabbers* for two shows then I quit. Strange days back then.

No way! That's crazy. How were the shows?

I haven't really listen to GG in damn long time, but he definitely was one of those characters that you can never forget about when your first exploring weird music. One of a kind, so to speak!

So I guess the moral of this thread is:

1) Never buy mic's from Guitar Center
2) Always do a sniff test first on used mic's, as GG Allin may have stuck them up his ass

:D

No way! That's crazy. How were the shows?

I haven't really listen to GG in damn long time, but he definitely was one of those characters that you can never forget about when your first exploring weird music. One of a kind, so to speak!

It's a long story Greg but if you want to hear it PM me your cell # and I'll call you on my dime in the near future and tell you all about them. :eek: Nasty! :eek:

Hey Tim How are ya? Haven't see ya here in a while! By all means keep both of those microphones.

Well, jumping in and out of threads while commuting between Leipzig and Berlin here in Germany. Two and a half hours to kill every day...

Other than that I've begun to assemble a little "semi"-live rig which should be up and running in January. I don't have a room to record in, so I plan on recording bands in their natural habitat (-> rehearsal). We'll see how it'll work out ;) RE20 and SM7B are both part of that rig along with the Oktava MK012 SDCs as Overheads, an SM57 and some cheap clip on mics for Toms. Rigging up on microphones is what eats up most of my salary at the moment... Really looking forward to the whole thing.

Well, jumping in and out of threads while commuting between Leipzig and Berlin here in Germany. Two and a half hours to kill every day...

Other than that I've begun to assemble a little "semi"-live rig which should be up and running in January. I don't have a room to record in, so I plan on recording bands in their natural habitat (-> rehearsal). We'll see how it'll work out ;) RE20 and SM7B are both part of that rig along with the Oktava MK012 SDCs as Overheads, an SM57 and some cheap clip on mics for Toms. Rigging up on microphones is what eats up most of my salary at the moment... Really looking forward to the whole thing.

Sounds very cool Tim keep me informed about everything! Don't be slow to even PM me. What type of music are you in search of? And what about live gig recordings?
I just picked up the Mk012 with all of the different heads, pad and rolloff and with modified electronic by Michael Joly of Octavamod.

I can't think of any health and safety issue about returning a mic.

This normally only applies to things like earrings that go into the body.

The only mic. that may be considered a "health hazard" is a vocal mic that touches the lips (though this is normally bad practice) like an SM58.

In this case then all you should have to do is pay the cost of a new grill.

Any other mic. is nowmally in free air and there would be no health hazard at all.

There is some health concerns with anything used. More so these days with SARS and chicken flu, and who knows what. I bought used headphones once and got ear infections like a week later. And trying to sell a used headset mic is a bit of an effort in futility. Of course every studio you walk into, you are using a used mic every time. And those lectures at events are recycling the mic between several speakers. With the number of used mics in front of the President, you'd think he'd be laid up in a hospital somewhere.

It's mostly BS IMO, but it's their policy. I tend to buy used and sell used. Even though a used mic may not be pristine, it's still close enough IME. At a minimum it lets you know how it holds up to use, how it ages, and other things. Enough information that you wouldn't otherwise have. Useful information if it's not the mic for you. Since most things lose 50% MSRP the second you walk out the door. More so now that you can buy them new at 60%-ish MSRP online. Or at least 60% GC's price.

Just the facts, ma'am...

I'm reasonably certain that this is not a "healthcode violation', but is a GC corporate policy.

And given the litigious climate corporations have to deal with here in the US, it is probably a reasonable policy.

And with due apologies to the groups involved, would you really want to buy a mic that had been tested by a dude right after he finished giving an anonymous dude a bl*wjob in a gay bar bathroom? Howabout one used for "beatbox" work or by a harp player?

I'm sure others can come up with equally unpleasant scenarios, but since I haven't had breakfast yet I didn't want to delve to deeply into the subject...

A Guitar Center employee told me if I buy a mic from them I can't return it because it is a healthcode violation.

Well yeah, but they sell used mics, no problem... go figure.

In my book, the motive is very transparent: this, along with their 15% restocking fee serves to get as much sales (and money) as they possibly can.

Best, M

www.samaraudiodesign.com

Back