Restoration Suggestions

TheGuardian

Hi ALL -
I have a vintage 1978 BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme. It has the straight through neck, as they did back then, and it is on great condition with one exception. One of the previous owners installed a Floyd Rose, then for some reason removed it and put back on the original bridge back on. To do this they took a piece of Koa, a wood plate really, to cover the larger hole that the Floyd Rose required. So, I have a beautiful guitar with a noticable, wood plate under the bridge. It's not an unsightly piececof Koa, it does match the guitar, but never-the-less, it is noticable and I'd like to fix it.

Does anybody here have any sugestions as to how I might better restore this? Also, I live in southeastern FL if anyone knows a worthy luthier or restorer near here.

Thanks!
Regards,
Andrew

I think you're going to have a really difficult time making your repair invisible, unless you do an overspray.

My recollection of the Mockingbird is a (kind of) Explorer style body with 2 h'buckers and a whole bunch of switches.
Great sounding guitars, as I recall.

It may be possible to match up the wood, but at best it's going to be 'close'.

My suggestion is a 'clear' overspray, with a slight touch of colour (maybe a really faint sunburst) to cover the patching.

The other option is a solid colour.

SE FL? Don't know.

Good guys elsewhere? Scott Lentz in San Marcos Ca, Steve Soest in Orange County, and Marty Lanham in Nashville.

Good luck.

foo

Back