resonant frequency

Shiny Rhino

I've been trying to get a better acoustic guitar sound and spent the day moving around the room trying to find the ideal location within my room to set up my mic and chair for recording. I think I've found the best possible place, but no matter what I do, I get a hefty resonant frequency build up of either 490hz or the octave above, 980hz. I can't figure out what's causing it, as I've tried my other acoustic, and the same goes there too. Any ideas? I'm currently just eq'ing it out, but would rather eliminate the problem itself.

Work out if it's the guitar ( possibly even both guitars), the mic, the mic placement or the room, or a combination of the above. Just a process of elimination.

Is it the actual sound that's objectionable or are you just seeing a peak on the spectrum analyzer?

How do you listen to the recorded sound?

Tim

You know, I haven't actually checked the spectrum analyzer. Good point.

I am using my Tannoy Reveals in my treated room. I'm using a peluso CEMC6, so would be surprised if the mic is causing it, but suppose I could try and eliminate it from the equation.

I wonder if it could be guitar strings too. I have elixirs on both guitars.

Eeehhhhh....

What you are doing is a typical process of recording and mixing. I have 2 guitars and 3 microphones and no matter how I scramble these stuff, I still get the frequency I dont want. All you have to do is EQ. Just use a narrow Q and sweep search that resonant freq. And you are right, it is around 400-500hz. sometimes at 300 depending on your acoustic guitar.

Moving around the room it's still there I'd bet it's the guitar. Have you been out front of the guitar with the mic mostly? Try pointing down up by your left ear -where you hear it and work down/out and/or forward -in that area. Up away from the face can be a sweet tone, less boomy.

That frequency buildup could be caused by the mike position. You're probably placing it in front of the soundhole, so place the mic in front of 12th fret and from there, point the diaphragm to the soundhole, to avoid that boomy sound but still get a warm tone and definition. Just my suggestion. Good Luck

That frequency buildup could be caused by the mike position. You're probably placing it in front of the soundhole, so place the mic in front of 12th fret and from there, point the diaphragm to the soundhole, to avoid that boomy sound but still get a warm tone and definition. Just my suggestion. Good Luck

Thanks, but this is regardless of mic position. I use the method you describe mostly, but even with other miking techniques, it's often heard. I'm leaning toward it being a modal room issue.

I went to run your room in the mode calculators, and realized this pitch (490', B4 above 440) is quite high- well above the typical bass-to mids of their scales. Even below- 200-240 the room is reasonably distributed. That doesan't mean it isn't ringing, but up at '490', can you hum' in the room and hear it peak as well?
- Try another room or out side? I'm still thinking it could be the guitar.

Most likely the guitar. Remember the only time you can accurately hear your guitar is when someone else is playing it. Perhaps it doesn't sound like you think it does. What type / body style is it?

Also... elixirs - I use them because I don't do live v. recording guitars, but if I was just recording, I wouldn't use them.

It may be the guitar, but because I found that the troublesome frequency was rearing its head on another guitar, (a OOO body), I figured it had to be the room. My main recording guitar is a dreadnought, that's not going to help I know, but it has a nicer tone than the OOO.

I'll try humming that tone, see what that gets me. I'll set up a mic and run through some test tones and see if the frequency response jumps in db's on that tone more than others. I suppose it should be a sine wave for accuracy, correct?

btw, I'm using an SDC in cardioid.

I've also thought about changing strings to see what effect that would have. Both my guitars are equipped with Elixirs. I've never found a string that the tone lasts long enough before turning into dead darkness. Any recommendations? I've tried John Pierce, Tomastiks, D'addario, Markley's & Martins

Back