Resilient Channel's Going Up, but I have a question

ob

I am ready to put up my RC, but I have read somewhere (maybe here) about people who put spacers between the channel and the stud to further reduce vibrations. Does this have any value? I have a shitload of neoprene left over, and I could slip little 1/2" neoprene spacers in between the RC and the stud to further reduce vibration.

Or is this just a waste of time?

Personally I don't think it would help but I'm no expert. I didn't use it on mine. Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, the vertical distance between sticks of RC is 16" if your studs are spaced 24" on center and 24" if the studs are 16" on center. Found that at a website somewhere just before putting mine up. Also, if your walls are taller than the standard 8' sheetrock (or in my case 10') you'll have to start your next RC (above the 8') almost touching that last RC at the top to give you a starting place for the next piece of sheetrock. Make sure the open end of the RC is at the top, not the bottom.

DD

Thanks for the advice. The people that sold me the RC were pretty helpful, and I figured out the upside down/rightside up thing by the spacing of the screw holes in the RC - they don't line up unless you have it right side up.

My big fear is cutting off a finger tip with the metals edges after I have cut/snipped it. It would be a shame to render myself unable to play guitar while building my studio.

ob said:

My big fear is cutting off a finger tip with the metals edges after I have cut/snipped it. It would be a shame to render myself unable to play guitar while building my studio.

That would be an irony of the most cruel sort.

Don't try to re-engineer the RC - adding extra resilience isn't necessarily a good thing. In fact, some walls perform better at low bass frequencies WITHOUT any RC at all (although best of both worlds would be dissimilar weights of paneling on each side of studs, with the heavier side solid mounted and the lighter side on RC.

Here is mounting info straight from the manufacturer, if you've not already seen it...

http://www.usgaction.com/handbook/chap2/resfram.html

Their entire construction handbook has lots of valuable info, check it out... Steve

Back