research

Jimmy2002

Hy guys,
I need to do some reserch for a essay i have to write for uni. I need to talk about how effects can enhance the sound of a song in commercial music, i plan to talk about the use of backwards guitar mainly, like the solo on give it away by the chillis. so to the point dose anyone know of any good books or sites that can help understand more about the way effects are used in the producing of song.

Many Thanks

Jimmy

Jimmy2002 said:
Hy guys,
I need to do some reserch for a essay i have to write for uni. I need to talk about how effects can enhance the sound of a song in commercial music, i plan to talk about the use of backwards guitar mainly, like the solo on give it away by the chillis. so to the point dose anyone know of any good books or sites that can help understand more about the way effects are used in the producing of song.

Many Thanks

Jimmy

https://homerecording.com/effects.html

from introspective zen recording : ii) Overuse of effects. Many trackers seem to overestimate the influence of effects in their tunes. Put simply, effects are used for mostly subtle alterations to the piece, not for changing the way it sounds altogether. Example: retrigging or note-cutting at high speed (pointless in most cases). Overuse of vibrato on chord samples (how about using instrument vibrato instead? Does vibrato really make THAT much of a difference to the chord anyway?).

The idea is that you only use as many effects as are necessary for the sound you want to achieve. Just because Lizardking uses lots of effects doesn't make his tunes complex and thus GOOD. Overusing effects doesn't show attention to detail either; it makes your tunes look sloppy in the tracker to the trained eye and, more importantly, will make them sound muddied and unclean. So be careful with effects; they are your friends, but don't go crazy with them.

couldn't really find much on reverse effects, but i didn't feel like sorting tru a bunch of shit either........so hope this helps.

blue bear sound has a site i think its called just that, and thats got some really usefull info in it.

maybe read around in this--bam audio school

Back