Rerecording song - help with arranging

Pedro

Hi,

About a year ago I recorded a song with a friend of mine. I had just started home recording and had neither knowledge nor decent equipment. The result was thus so so.

Now I have a better setup and thought I'd re-record the song. I'd like some input about how to arrange it now that I'm doing it all over from scratch. The original song is called Straight up the Waters and can be found at:

http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Olaus_frn_Laos/

Thanks for your input!

Pedro

well now that youve got better gear to work with, first thing i'd do is drop the drum machine. get a realistic drum track that doesnt bring memories of a christmas special casio keyboard. the oboe at the beginning needs to go, i'd prefer a hard hitting piano playing that chord progression. then come in with a distorted guitar to accompany it, a la baba o' riley. take out the clean electric rhythm in favor of an acoustic. the main riff that i hear in there repeated by the clean electric might be traded in favor of an overdriven electric. instead of the synth oboe in the background, id favor a violin playing that part that is if you know how to play one or know someone who does.
im sorry im not a masterful arranger, i kind of let the songs create themselves through the entire recording process but i have a concept of how i want the song to flow at the beginning.
good luck

Pedro,

the good:

the song is good
the singer has a good voice
the recording is clean. I can hear all the elements and no noise.
I dont have a problem at all with the midi drums
the bad:

nothing bad, just more like production choices.
THe arrangement is sparse
The oboe?? sound at the beginning sounds too unreal. I agree with scriabin's points
the lead vocal should be louder and the snare should be softer.
I can hardly hear the bass guitar.
I would like to hear a tighter lowend and some more thud in the kick.

the ugly:
that swell is plain harsh

I like the background vocals.

Nice song, the level of the vocals is a bit uneven and the drums are a bit too mechanical, you may want to find other samples too.

Like the guitars, maybe some violins or a pad in the background?

All in all, a pretty good effort, good luck with your future efforts!

/Jolines

I agree with mostly everyone else too, good song, the oboe in the beginning needs to be something else, Im a fan of strings so naturally thats what I am thinking. A little more bass guitar would be good for the song. Overall not a bad production. Good tune.

John

Back