Rerecording drums

sardineclub

Just wandering if anyone has had any experience rerecording drums through speakers.

Didnt get much luck with the room mics and want to give the drums a bit more depth. Its for something quite dirty and punky and would probably be used very sparingly behind the main drum mix..........

Looking for a sound somewhere around the some girls - heavens pregnant teens, recorded by alex newport (YouTube - ‪Some Girls - Religion II‬‏) area.

Danke

recording drums through speakers :confused::confused::confused:

are you like - playing a drum machine through an amp, then mic'ing the amp speaker?

nope its a real drumkit recording...i know it sounds a bit of an odd idea, just thought it might be a way of getting some background bite. Probably gonna try it anyway, just wandering if anyone had done this with good results

nope its a real drumkit recording...i know it sounds a bit of an odd idea, just thought it might be a way of getting some background bite. Probably gonna try it anyway, just wandering if anyone had done this with good results

ok - I am trying to follow this - you have a recording of drums - from a real drum kit - you want to play the recording through a speaker and record it again with a microphone? - cause all you are doing is diluting the signal chain - you need to process the drums in a DAW

yeh...its just a thought....its a pretty bare recording.
maybe its a very stupid thought!just something ive wanted to try and it felt like the right time to try it.

maybe its a very stupid thought!just something ive wanted to try and it felt like the right time to try it.

Phil Spector did it all the time. Supposedly, that homo Dave Grohl records drums with loudspeakers behind him too. try it and see.

it sounds crazy - but then again a lot of things sound crazy

if you do it - you should post the original and then the re-recorded version - I would like to hear how it sounds

I was skeptical but Greg knows a hell of a lot more about recording drums than I do.

This does sound like it would be a good experiment, do please post your original/re-recorded version for us to hear.
Also Dave Grohl is a total homo, of this there is no doubt in my mind.

The OP is referring to a [relatively] common technique whereby the drums are blasted into a room - hopefully one with favorable acoustics - by a PA system and then the results are recorded as a faux room sound. It can be very effective if your goal is to create a larger-than-life, air-pushing sound for the drums. It can also be horrible if your room sounds horrible.

Where you place the mics to record the room is your choice, since every production will have different requirements but suffice it to say that a standard stereo pair of condensers will be the common choice.

Cheers :)

The OP is referring to a [relatively] common technique whereby the drums are blasted into a room - hopefully one with favorable acoustics - by a PA system and then the results are recorded as a faux room sound. It can be very effective if your goal is to create a larger-than-life, air-pushing sound for the drums. It can also be horrible if your room sounds horrible.

Where you place the mics to record the room is your choice, since every production will have different requirements but suffice it to say that a standard stereo pair of condensers will be the common choice.

Some guys do it while tracking.

I used to do that at rehearsals. Always missed the feeling you get from a live gig with a monitor with a sub pounding in my chest. So I picked up a couple of EV S1803's and ran my own monitor mix behind me. The resulting recordings in the rehearsal space were quite impressive.

Another possibility related to this is creating a natural reverb track. I once ran drum tracks that were recorded in a small room and played them through a large stereo system in very large 18' ceiling living room with hardwood floors, and recorded the room sound. Very usable. Other experiments like this have however failed. Nothing beats a good room to actually record drums in.

Some guys do it while tracking.

I could see that being...interesting. I personally wouldn't do it unless I was going for a big room live sound in an attempt to mimick a live recording. You could really cause some heavy frequency build-up, depending on the volume of the PA and the room size and dimensions. Bleed would be a problem. The louder the PA, the more the frequency response of the room comes into play as well. It better be a smokin' band!

But yeah, I'm sure it's been done many times in the search for "more bigness".

Some of these effects and techniques bring something kind of subtle to the sound. A kind of 'presence' that, if you take it off, you'll notice it but which, when it's there, is kind of, well, there. If you know what I mean. ;)

Back