Requesting Setup Advice

On A Budget

Go on, push the button
I am new to recording digital. I have aquired what I think are the basics for home recording. However, I am confused on the best way to link things together. I have tried various configurations and cannot decide on which way is the best. I would really appreciate others advice.

Here is what I have:

Presonus Firepod
Art PAC pre/comp
Alesis 3630 comp/gate
dbx 231 graphic eq
dbx 166xl comp/gate/limiter
PC with plenty of power and speed
Yamaha MG 16/4 mixer (I use it with my PA but think it maybe useful in the studio)

Currently, I have the 116xl and 231 connected through the preamp/send of channels 1&2 of the Firepod (the only send/return on the Firepod)

Thanks in advance. :p

i think people will probably want more information... do you want to mix on the computer on the mixer? i don't know anything about the Firepod... does it have preamps? if not, you're going to want to get some, or use the ones on the mixer.

i use the MG12/4 (the smaller version of your mixer) with my computer based setup for a while now, with a Delta 66. i use the preamps on it, and they're perfectly fine, for a cheap skate like me, anyway :p i mix in the box... though i have occasionally messed around with changing the levels and stuff on some simple 2x acoustic guitar and voice stuff i've done.

its also good for general monitoring... it has some stereo line inputs.

i also like the 'hands on' feel of using a mixer, for the inputs and monitoring.

as long as you're not damaging anything, i'd suggest you just keep on messing around until you find a setup you like! :) that's what i did... i changed stuff around for about two months when i first got my very small collection of 'stuff'. now i think its probably good enough to be quite easy to add stuff to it, but i don't think anyone could have told me 'this is the way to setup your stuff', other than what cables to use and what an 'input' was :p

Andy

I primarily use it for recording vocals, bass, and guitar. I do all my drums with BFD and keys with virtual synths. I combine it all on Cubase 2.0.

I guess were I get confused is on the simple things like - should I chain the compressor before the EQ? or the EQ before the compressor?

Also, is there an advantage to using the mixer then send it to the Firepod? If so should I route the EQ and compressor through the Aux send?

I hope this isn't sounding too dumb.

Thanks

Back