Requesting assistance in acoustic treatment and such.

Benjah

Hey, everyone, I have been reading for about home recording for a while now and i came across this sight.

I am trying to figure out How to set up my bedroom to record vocals in. All i record is vocals,

I already have the equipment set up and i have been using it for about a year now, and i am ready to start putting out music, but i

1. How can I acoustically treat my room without using Foam pads.

My situation doesn't permit me to treat my room with pads. I Have read that hanging blankets can help. Please tell me about this and tell me how it would be done if it actually works. I also read about egg cartons and some people said that this doesn't work well.

2. Reflection Filters

Do i need one? If so can i make my own.

3. Record into the corner

I read somewhere that it is best to record into the corner of room. Is this accurate? And if so how do i treat the corner?

Also please post any relevant links. I just want to absorb the knowledge necessary to achieve my goal.

Thanks so much

1) Forget the foam, forget the egg cartons. Since you can't put treatment on walls you can make some moveable treating walls that sit on the ground. Something like that:
http://advancedacoustics.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/2013-02-20-14-41-27.jpg
The simplest thing would be building frame from pvc pipes and then hanging blankets over the frame. Of course panels made of rockwool are better.

2) Could help a bit.. It's not so simple as you think to make one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcg_EYCnIo

3) I really don't think it good idea to record in a corner. Corners tend to get boomy due bass buildup. You probably don't want it. :)

A corner only works if you have completely trapped all reflections there. The closer you are to a hard reflective surface, the more likely those reflections can be picked up by the microphone.

We built some nice acoustic panels at the recording studio I work at. They were a little pricey, though. Cost about $500 for the insulation (3" thick), $300 for the wood (I think we bought around 40-50 eight-foot 2x4 boards), and $200 for the fabric ($1000+ total). It made 16 panels total. They look great though, and they make the room sound a million times better. They also can be moved around and don't need to be bolted or screwed into the walls.

Here's a few photos of what it ended up looking like...

Amp Wax 1.jpg
Amp Wax 2.jpg
Amp Wax 3.jpg

WOW, that is way out of my range. Maybe I forget to make it clear that I am a kid in my bedroom Just trying to get the best sound quality I can get. I understand that i can't get great sound quality with a crappy room and no budget but I just want to do the best i can to improve it .

WOW, that is way out of my range. Maybe I forget to make it clear that I am a kid in my bedroom Just trying to get the best sound quality I can get. I understand that i can't get great sound quality with a crappy room and no budget but I just want to do the best i can to improve it .

Then the sE Reflexion Filter or Primacoustic Voxguard will be your best friend. Being a kid in a bedroom won't get you anywhere unless you have a budget. What are you even planning to do? Only music or gaming commentary, too?

Back