Requesting advice on my design

ObeseArmadillo

I've been reading quite a bit both here and at Johns site. I have some limited space in my basement which I can use for recording. Based on what I have managed to comprehend so far, I have put togehter a basic floor plan for the space.

It can be viewed at http://www.obesearmadillo.com/ObeseArmadilloStudio.gif

I have several questions that I hope someone can help with:

1. I have nearfield monitors so can I adjust the angle and move the desk closer to the front wall (as you can see space is limited so I want to make the most of it)with out any problems.

2. Is is as important to have the minimum of a 12% angle between the walls in the tracking room? Again, I'd sure like to use some of the space lost due to the angle if I can.

Any other suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with the left wall being angled - I'd do the top wall instead.

cheers
john

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 438
Consider separating your live and control rooms with a set of double sliding glass doors (arranged in parralel)--you can use this for visual between the rooms; access; and open 'em up if you want to increase your rehersal space.

Alex

Sliding doors would work but they are expensive. If buget is a problem I'd just put in a double glazed window.

cheers
john

John, what are you finding, cost wise, for sliding glass doors?

I know how much mine are costing, but I was curious as to what you have found.

Sliding Doors

Thanks for the ideas. Sliding glass doors would be a great option. I did some quick pricing and found them at lowes for about 325.00 a door (6ft vinal clad). Of course this leads to more questions mostly concerning the treatment of the mixing room and the reflections from the glass, but I'll save those for another thread as construction progresses.

Does anyone have an online source for mineral wool (rockwool) or 70x from owens-corning?

Thanks again for your help, I've done this "wrong" countless times and I am now determined to take my time and do it correctly. With any luck, I'll start demolition of the existing room next weekend.

For sliding glass doors, I got one at Home Depot for $125; but I think they were closing out that line. It's only single pane and not all that thick--but you'd be amazed at the sound isolation I get with the two (one existing, plus the new one I installed) in series.

Check the Pennysaver or other local classified adds for people selling used sliding glass doors--these are around all the time.

For mineral wool, check out the Thermafiber website and give them a call--they can give you a list of distributors in your area. Same with Owens-Corning, but I had less luck with their list of distributors. Home Depot will order it for you but their minimum order quantities may be prohibitive.

http://www.thermafiber.com/

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I'll give them a call. Did you mount your second set of doors parallel to the first? Or did you off set them somehow?

-Mike

They're offset quite a bit, since I had to isolate two side by side existing doors and decided to create a somewhat useable interior space (now affectionately know as the "cheese wedge"). Don't think you really need to though. Most layouts I've seen pretty much have the doors parallel with one another.

Alex

Alex W said:
They're offset quite a bit, since I had to isolate two side by side existing doors and decided to create a somewhat useable interior space (now affectionately know as the "cheese wedge"). Don't think you really need to though. Most layouts I've seen pretty much have the doors parallel with one another.

Alex
Hmmm, no. Thats not true. You want them at angles to each other. Just as the glass in a control room window is angled, so too would you want your sliders angled. The difference is that control room glass is angled in the verticle, and sliders are angled in the horizontal. Its just impractical to angle a slider in the verticle; it would cause all kinds of headaches with the rollers. So double sliding glass doors are angled from each other. 12 degrees is ideal, but 6 will work. In fact, if you can offset each one 6 degrees from each other, you end up with 12 degrees with out having to sacrifice too much space from each room.

Look at this plan here:
FloorPlan1.jpg

See the non-paralell sliders from the control room to the drum room, and from the live room to the drum room.

Or this one at John Sayer's design of Left Bank
Again, note the slider angles:
plan3.gif

Here's a photo of the sliders at Left Bank
Up6_2.jpg

And another
Up6_9.jpg

I definately think you want to angle them. ;)

Last edited:
So does John, and F. Alton Everest - however, this guy (who, BTW, has worked with Russ Berger Design Group, so isn't just another nobody) disagrees. Gawd, sometimes I really HATE acoustics...

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/education/pdfs/Acoustical_Myths.pdf

The problem with "do it/don't do it" is that you almost have to build something BOTH ways and test it yourself, and who the F*** has that kind of time or money?

(Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch...)

OK, I found my pills, I'm much better now, thanks... Steve

Thanks guys,

I think since I'm basing my design on John's work, I'll go with the 12 degree angle between the doors. The sliders also help me to eliminate the inward swinging door in the botom wall, so I actually gain a bit of usable floor space as a result.

Attachments

• obesearmadillostudiov3crop.gif
    obesearmadillostudiov3crop.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 297
If it was me I would stick with the regular doors in back. It will give you better isolation and be cheaper. If you have a big slider right there then you won't even be able to treat that side of the control room.

If you have a big slider right there then you won't even be able to treat that side of the control room.

yes but you can delete the rear door in the control room and use the studio door as the entrance. This will allow you to treat the rear wall of the control room heavily which is good in such a small room.

Instead of a sliding door why not use a glass door/window combination.

cheers
john

"Damnit steve why do you have to go posting shit like that? " -

Rule #1 - Steve IS, and will ALWAYS be, a shit-disturber.
Rule # 2 - If ever you wonder why (about ANYTHING), see rule #1...

Actually, the real reason is that I want all of you to suffer at least as much pain as I've gone thru in the last 15+ years of studying this crap. I'm now firmly convinced that if courses of study have gender, Acoustics is DEFINITELY female... :=)

John, what are you finding, cost wise, for sliding glass doors?

Our cost around $1000 each - that's aussie dollars.

These are the main features to look for to get a better seal

cheers
john

Attachments

• sliding_door1.jpg
    sliding_door1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 242
Back