Request for comments.....

Bassman

Hello.. its the Bassman.... I recorded this one last year for a friend. Written and sang by him, Played and recordde by me. It was done with my SBlive card, Cakewalk.. Vocal mic is a NT1.

It is a little on the sappy side, but a pretty good effort I think.

Love to hear some producing, performing or engineering comments and suggestions.

You can find it on www.idrive.com

Visit si_bassman

Song is Baby.mp3

Thanks!!

Any Opinions?? good or bad?? I can take it, if it sucks say so....

Or is Idrive too much of a pain in the ass to listen to it?

bassman,

is that you singing? Is that your song?
I ask because I love the singing AND the song.

Even though the bass was a little bit low(I was listening at low volumes) I could hear every thing in mix, and I thought that the acoustic guitar was fresh.

I think that the harmony vox at the end could be a bit tighter.

keep it up

Thanks,

No I am not singing.. its my friend who wrote it. I am responsible for the remainder of the performance though..

What do you mean when you say the harmony can be tighter? Timing? Pitch?

Thanks for the Input....

Damn...that was nice....very well done...I could hear the bass but I think this style could use a more present bass (volume and width), and it is quite a good bassline it is...definitely bring it up...if that doesnt conflict with anything else, you have a great mix.....standing ovation here.....

What other gear did you use (preamps,etc.)?

Ok... here's the equipment run down...

Everything was recorded through a ART Tube MP into my SBlive..

Vocals... NT1
Bass.... Peavey TL5 ... direct
Piano, Strings, drums.. SBlive soundfonts
Elect. Guitar..strat copy... DOD classic tube stomp box... direct..
Acoustic guitar... NT1

Glad you guys liked it... Hoping to hear some more technical reviews...

Bassman,

I couldn't get through. Do yourself a big favor, start putting your songs at www.Lycos.com.

I too used to use Idrive, and found it to be a giant pain.

Bassman,

I've been trying to download your song from lycos, no luck.

So I tried downloading one of my own songs from lycos, also no luck. This is the first time I've had trouble with lycos. I'm sure it's temporary.

Will keep trying.

Nice 70's pop feel to this. Cool.

I don't like canned drums. But, that aside, the snare sound "seperated" from the rest of the drums. Like it was in a totally different room altogether.

I thought the bass could have come up a bit.

Maybe a bit more top end on the keyboard patch.

The guitar solo was maybe a bit too in your face.

Same with the vocal.

Both need to be "pulled" back in the depth of the mix. They again sound like they are seperated from the rest of the tracks. Try possibly some more predelay on the reverb, around 60-75ms to see if that helps a bit. You could maybe roll off some 80Hz and below on those tracks and possibly add a tad of 12KHz and above. Not much, maybe 2 or 3 db.

Nice song though.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

Exactly the type of review I was looking for.. Unfortunately Canned drums is the only way for me to go, But since recording this tune I have gotten my hands on much better sounding sonic Implants stuff.

Rather than recording the drums from the original Midi track as a whole stereo track, I did them One by one ( although the toms were as a stereo group) so I could mess around with them as single audio channels.

I guess I got a little carried away with the snare.
I kind of knew I did something wrong, but your description of it sounding separate helped a lot..

I have since acquired "real" monitors (20/20's) and a delta 66. This mix was done on cheapo computer speakers.

I think I will rework it some when I get a chance, but I will defiantly take your comments as a lesson on future projects..

I have some stuff in the pipeline, I am hoping I can get the same type of review for that stuff when the time comes...

Thanks!

Bassman,

Lycos ain't working bro...

So I'm doing the IDrive thing, but your song is downloading way slow and I'm using a cable modem.

I'm going to eat dinner and listen afterwards to give some input...

Be right back.

Bassman, I like this tune... kind of a low sounding tiny-tim vocal (that's not a dig - just an observation) with a retro-flavor to the music.

The bass was a little low in the mix. My ears wanted to be able to hear it more clearly. Maybe for punch, a tad.

The drum snare sounded a little out of place at times... maybe a little loose for my taste (the sound, not the timing), but only at certain spots in the song.

Nice recording and a good song.

Bassman,

I think you better change your name to tenorman. It's nice to hear a silly love song now and then.

That's some excelent singing. Your voice is very retro. Reminds me of Neil Sedaka.

Mix sounds nice, bass could come up a little.

Great work.

GT: thanks, but I am not singing, it is a friend of mine...he is really into 50's stuff, absolutly loves the beach boys.. and can sing it too...

Tom: I'll let the comment go, but am patiently waiting for YOU to post your stuff......

Back