Report on Sliding Door Isolation

Alex W

From a thread back in March, I followed Ausrock's suggestion of installing a second sliding glass door in a newly framed wall to isolate two existing sliding glass doors on the south wall of my live room.

The new wall is framed with 2x4's, with rockwool in the cavity; two layers of gypsum mounted on rc channel on the live side; a single 5/8-in layer of gypsum on the interior side. The door I got at Ho' Depot for about $100--a cheapo model they were closing out; single glazed, thin glass.

I haven't finished treating the room yet but we went ahead and did a rehearsal there with the full band on Sunday and I'm super happy to report that the isolation achieved on by the door assembly is nothing short of amazing! This was the biggest leap of faith I took on the whole construction, as I was never convinced of how much isolation I'd actually get.

Suffice it to say Ausrock - you rock!

Thanks,

Alex

Alex,

I almost overlooked reading this thread............suffice to say that I'm pleased to see you have had a positive result and I'm only too happy to have been of assistance.

I have to admit that I first saw this double slider idea in a John Sayers designed studio I was in, quite some time before I encountered John on this site, and before I was aware that he designed it. I adapted the basics for our studio, but instead of a second slider (on the inside), I built an inner wall which has two 6'x2.5', 10mm tinted laminted glass windows and a commercial grade aluminium/glass hinged door which is air tight when closed.

:cool:

Right on you guys. Rochey, here's a couple of photos.

First is a view from the outside (my future control room? :)) back into the live room.

Attachments

• exterior.south side.jpg
    exterior.south side.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 83
Next is inside looking towards the east wall (doors are on the south side):

Attachments

• sliding door.west view.live side.jpg
    sliding door.west view.live side.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 65
Last is a similar view but from the opposite side (towards the west wall).

Attachments

• sliding door.east view.live side.jpg
    sliding door.east view.live side.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 61
Cheers Buddy, I understand what it all is now....

looks cool, I was thinknig of doing the same in my studio... someday... :(

Cheers n Beers

R

Back