Reply to posts function

Caroline

Hi,

I've started a thread looking for some advice, which I've received, but I don't know how to reply to each suggestion. I click the Quick Reply button at the bottom of the person's suggestion, and it just adds my replies to the whole thread, and doesn't tag the person I'm replying to.

So then I tried to PM them so they knew I'd replied, but the PM didn't save to my sent folder, so I assume it didn't send...!
FAQ doesn't answer these probs.

Forget the 'Quick Reply' button. Just use the 'Reply' or 'Reply With Quote' (if you want to directly respond to a member) tabs at the bottom right.

You may need to change your 'settings' in order to save PM's and such. I don't know, I just hang out here. Not the site guru. :)

Welcome to the site!

Forget the 'Quick Reply' button. Just use the 'Reply' or 'Reply With Quote' (if you want to directly respond to a member) tabs at the bottom right.

You may need to change your 'settings' in order to save PM's and such. I don't know, I just hang out here. Not the site guru. :)

Welcome to the site!

Thanks!

Do you know how to take bits out of the quote? (Like, which bits do I need so the quote still works?)

Yeah, just use the 'Reply' tab. :)

You do not need to 'Reply With Quote' every time. Only if there is something you wish to directly respond to. If only one line in a quote that you want to respond to, just edit out (delete) the parts between the ( what the heck are they called? These ][) Anything that is between them is what will be copied at a quote on your post. You can use or delete any part that is in between them in your post. Just don't delete the parts outside of the 'whatever they are called thingys'. lol!

Thanks!

Do you know how to take bits out of the quote? (Like, which bits do I need so the quote still works?)

...or if you genuinely do want to take out parts of a quote (say there's three paragraphs about the importance of lava lamps before the poster actually gets around to talking about microphones) just leave the bits inside the square brackets at the beginning and end. There'll be something like
[ QUOTE=Bobbsy;1234567] at the beginning and just [ /QUOTE] at the end, obviously without the spaces. Anything else can be edited in the normal way.

Or, if you want to quote something from, say a manual, you can manually type in [ QUOTE] Cut and paste what you want. [/ QUOTE] (again without the spaces) and whatever you cut and paste in will show up in a quote box.

I don't know how to reply to each suggestion. I click the Quick Reply button at the bottom of the person's suggestion, and it just adds my replies to the whole thread, and doesn't tag the person I'm replying to.
A lot of it is experimenting and trial and error. Just under the and to the right of the "Reply with quote" box, if you want to multiquote {that is, reply to more than one quote}, just leave a tick by whichever one you want to reply to. I think you can do 5 but there are ways you can reply to an endless number.......but we won't go into that now !

I don't know, I just hang out here. Not the site guru.
Oh ? :D
Welcome to the site!
Yes. welcome !!

Just edit them out. Highlight the bits you don't want, then delete.
That's OK, I'll straighten my tie !

Can you see what I did there ? I used two of your quotes, but they come from the same quote. To do that, highlight, press Ctrl and c then for as many times as you want to use separate quotes, press Ctrl and v. So if you want to reply to 3 things I say, but deal with them separately, highlight the whole quote, press Ctrl and c then Ctrl and v two times and you'll have three sets of quotes. Then just edit as you see fit.

Like, what if I want to respond to them, but not quote them?
Like what Jimmy said in post #5. But it's often better to use quotes because you might reply to someone without the quotes, but 2 people may have posted ahead of you and it can make what you have to say look out of sinc.

Back