Replies for Natty..VSunits

Ears

ADA
That was a fast post. I would like to put my 2 cents in.

I had used cassette, reel to reel, computer, VS880 and now VS1680.
You have to ask your self. Do I mind working all the mixer section with a mouse. I personally hate that @#$%.I like the real hands on control.
The mic pres in a computer arent the best either. No matter what sound card, you will have to buy a good pre to get a good sound.
That covers the argument for the VS880. The pres are workable with eq but a good mic pre is required for ANY recording format. The VS unit can be unplugged and taken anywhere. Unless you are spending 4 to 5K on a good laptop you have an anchor in a desk computer. The sound of the VS unnit is also great in my opinion. I can work 25 times faster than my old analog gear, and record now when I am inspired rather than wait for rewinds and forward winds to find cues. Try it (VS) yourself. I'm sure you will be impressed.
And lastly the VS logic comes free with the unit now from Emagic. So you can have your screen interface to boot. Good luck

Does that software come now? I checked the Roland and Emagic sites and the Emagic site says it won't be around until July. Maybe their site is a year behind? Are you familiar with Datasonics VSPro Toolbox? It looks like the Emagic software is similar.

Greetings!

I too am a refugee from the VS Planet. I have the 880 EX. I used a Porta 424 for around 6 years, and there is no way I'd go back. It takes a while to learn, but once you do, you find that it is quite an amazing machine. As for computer based systems, I am on a Mac Users group for Cubase VST ( I only have Cubasis right now), and see all kinds of posts about buggy software, tracks vanishing, computers freezing and all the other nightmare scenarios for which home digital recording is renowned. I can't say that these problems don't crop up with the VS's, but I've seen that serious problems are far more rare with the VS than with PC based DAWs. That's what I've obseved, although I am sure that there are many PC recordists who would say that they've never experiences a freezup when they've recorded that once in a lifetime take.

I also like faders, pan pots, and all the other accoutrements of a dedicated recording machine. The fact that the 1680 doesn't have pan knobs is probably the one thing I have against it. So too, I wouldn't want to use a mouse for doing all those things which I am accustomed to doing. Just my .02

Don't shoot the mouse. Get a better pointer.
I use the Wacom graphics tablet and cordless stylus like the UPS staff uses to collect signatures. It's absolute positioning as opposed to the relative positioning system available on mice. Sure- any mouse pointer driver can be fooled into some really strange behavior, but overall it works well.

It's not so much accuracy as feel. The guys who started with it can master it. Me I have run boards for so long I like the real faders.

The pan on this 1680 Geetarzan:
You just hold down on the track channel button and the monitor pot becomes pan for that channel.

Monty: Yes the software comes with the new or you cna buy it like I did for about 25 U.S.
I tried the Datasonics demo but ended up getting the VSlogic.

I paid $150 for the Datasonics. Do you know if the VSLogic does all the same stuff as the Datasonics?

Dragon...it's double posting...

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 06-05-2000).]

I don't think so. The audio stays on the VS.
But graphically it is superior. In my opinion. I can't remember if the DataSonics is better or not.

Originally posted by Ears:
I like the real hands on control.

Me too. When I can work with both hands and both ears I can make EQ and effect changes so much faster. I love a lot of things about my VS880-EX but having to set every little thing individually drives me crazy.
Does anybody know of any hardware controllers that have pan pots that might be able to take over the VS880-EX EQ and effects process?

Hi and welcome HQ....

We could use more ladies on these pages.

Actually if you get the VSLogic package for the comp, then this type of stuff is a little easier.

But your right about the feel thing. It's just more natural. Like playing an 88 piano other than a 32 key computer interface piano emulation modulator.....kidding here.

I am a guitar player and use sequence gear for live and in the studio sometimes. I'm all for tech, but I also am used to the real thing.

By the way Hive Queen....no offense if you are a guy..sorry. :)

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 06-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ears (edited 06-10-2000).]

Back