Replay and recording cutting out

oleluke

Hi,

I run cubase 4. My PC has a solid state drive (60gig) and 8 gig Ram.

whe I try to record it runs for about 15 seconds and then cuts off.
When I tyry to pay tracks they cut out and then come back on a frequent basis.

anyone know what's going on?

thanks
Chris

What sound card are you using? Are you using correct drivers? How large is the buffer size?

hi
I am using the alesis drivers. Buffer size is set at 3072 (it was worse when set lower).

I suspect Cubase wants to run ASIO drivers. Try using ASIO4ALL.
Other things to try,
Audacity instead of Cubase as a check.

Then unistalling the Allesis and running on the internal soundcard. Won't be brilliant but should not cut out.

This is old advice but has worked before. Clean out everything to do with the AI and then disable the internal soundcard (AC97?) best done in BIOS if you dare, if not in Device Manager...Then re-install the AI.

Dave.

Good point - I am planning to get a second drive for storing recordings - thanks for the tip.

How stuffed is it? I had a laptop with a 20G drive, 1/2G of ram and an 850 MEGAHertz processor that would record 2 24bit 44,1 tracks of Samplitude 8se and playback about 8, os was XP pro.

Extrapolate that to your machine and even if you only had 2 G left it should smoke Cubase. In any case you have 8G of ram and virtually everything is loaded into ram anyway, AFAIK the hard drive just "mops up"?

Dave.

Thanks DAve - point taken - the heaard drive is not taht full at the moment. I will need an extra drive soon anyway becasue I want to use BFD as well.

Chris

Back