Replacing the horn + woofer in a fried speaker... What to use?

Gherkin

I have a pair of Alesis Provenue 1201 speakers that have been fried, and am looking to use the enclosure, but replace the horn and woofer. It's a 12" woofer, and I have no idea about the horn yet. I'll start taking it apart tomorrow.

What brands are highly regarded? What should I be looking out for?

I want to put something together that will handle a fairly high power.

I'm a bit clueless here, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Aidan

In an enclosure like a PA cab you can't just throw anything in there. The characteristics of the 12" driver determine, in large part, the enclosure design.

I would recommend that you contact Alesis and see if you can get replacement drivers.

Maybe I should clarify my post.

You can obviously stick in any low and high frequency drivers that will physically fit. But the crossover design may not be appropriate for the high-frequency driver that you use (and you risk burning it up), and the mid-low sound may get really punchy, or the cab could lose a lot of its low end response. Lots of factors involved.

You can buy a replacement speaker enclosure for pretty cheap if Alesis does not offer replacements (or recommendations for suitable drivers).

It's been my experience that reconing/realigning blown speakers is a better, and often more cost-effective solution. If you blew them 'cause you sent too much power to them, get a different set that can handle the power.

Back