Replacing Studio Projects B1

Dweezil

I had a Studio Projects B1 stolen from my car a while back and now intend to replace it for occasional vocal/ intrumental recording. Is there a new kid on the block to replace it? Want to spend less than $100, but more than $1!! Apologies for same old "which mike is best thread" Cheers

I'd probably replace my SP-B1s if they went missing. You might also want to check out a JoeMeek JM37DP---same price as the SP-B1. It only comes with clipmount and case (no shockmount) but it is dual-pattern and has a two-stage pad. I'd say that it's brighter and more detailed (less "grainy") in the vocal range than the B1, and it certainly sits well in a mix. There's probably an Octava MK319 out there for under $100---and it's a keeper with mod-ability. Since you said $100, I going to stop here and enjoy the cheap, legal halucinations provided by the fumes emanating from the freshly-painted interior of my home . . .

Paj
$^}

Get another SP B1. There's no new kid condenser mic on the block yet for less than $100 that works as well on as many applications.

Reactions: SRR
Did you like it well enough to get it again? If so, do. If not, don't.

Lack of helpful advice has never stopped me from posting. :D

Thanks very much for your replies. The Joemeek looks like a funky retro thang, and have found one on Amazon for $99 so thinking hard about that.
Cheers

Dweezil said:
I had a Studio Projects B1 stolen from my car a while back and now intend to replace it for occasional vocal/ intrumental recording. Is there a new kid on the block to replace it? Want to spend less than $100, but more than $1!! Apologies for same old "which mike is best thread" Cheers

In that price catagory, you are stuck with another B1 or MXLs.

If you can break into the 200-300 catagory, you can get a real mic that will sound very strange to you as it will actually sound good. It will be a tough learning curve at best. Maybe it will excite you and let some creativity out.

With an Echo Mia soundcard and Mackie DFX mixer is it worth expanding my ears and emptying my pockets on a $300 mike?!!!!!Would anyone other than me slightly notice?!!!

Dweezil,

If you were happy with the B1 then why not stick with it. Also, if you had the earlier series you would find the current mics are now fitted with selectable pads and filters.

Most of the SP range have undergone "upgrading" recently and knowing PMI, they wouldn't do anything if meant going backwards.

:cool:

Back