Replacing neck dots/markers

Fusioninspace

I'm in the process of re-vamping my MIM strat. I got the coolest new American Delux body from the Stratosphere (just over 3 pounds!), new two point trem, etc (all my electronics were swapped out years ago). So the last thing I noticed looks lame was the marker dots on the fretboard/neck. I ordered some new mother of pearl ones from Stewmac last night.

So my question: What's the best method to remove the old dots and put in the new ones?

I'm thinking of using a Forstner bit for the 1/4" dots on the fret board and a whatever-size regular bit for the side markers. And then I was thinking superglue to secure the new one's in.

Am I close? Or does someone have some other/better suggestions?

thanks, Fusion

Use a brad point bit between 1/16th and 1/8th smaller than the current dots to drill them out, and carefully chip out the remainder with a sharp knife.

For the side dots, be really careful. Use something with a really sharp point to mark the center of your new hole, and if you can get one small enough (and if you are doing abalone side dots, which are 3/32", you can) use a brad point bit for that as well. Be careful, and don't drill any deeper than you must, but make sure you drill deep enough that you don't get rid of the love figure in you dots while leveling them.

Oh, and for the face dots, USE A DRILL PRESS. Seriously, a hand drill is a recipe for disaster on this one.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Can't add anything to what Light said, but you asked about glue. I think medium viscosity super glue is the general recommendation for dots but since you ordered them from Stewmac, I would give them a call. They are always very helpful and will give you the best recommendation for adhesive.

Can't add anything to what Light said, but you asked about glue. I think medium viscosity super glue is the general recommendation for dots but since you ordered them from Stewmac, I would give them a call. They are always very helpful and will give you the best recommendation for adhesive.

If the dots fit tightly, the thin cyanoacrylate is usually best. And they should fit tightly.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back