Replacing Headphone Speakers

SteveM

... or upgrading them. Anyone ever try this? I got a pair of retro pioneer headphones I like. They sound good at lower volumes but not at the volumes I record at. I like them better than my AKG's in that the cans are more isolated. Just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the insides. I'm not even sure if I get them apart yet.

Last edited:
While I'm asking. I wonder what makes some headphones louder than others. I just looked in these and there is nothing else than the wire and speaker. But it's obvious my AKG's are much louder. I also have another pair of AKG studio headphones that are not loud and you have to crank the volume way up on them. I guess I'm wondering if you can add something in line to boost the signal.

Not meant to be a thread just to me but, ..... :D I did discover my "louder" headphones have a small ceramic cap.

Hey,
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I think the volume difference between headphones is largely due to differences in impedance.
Again, no expert but, I think impedance is dictated by coil material, length, thickness, and possibly other things.

I think earbuds typically have low impedance and, as such, are louder than 'studio' phones.
My HD280s are 64 ohm, but I had beyer DT100s that were 400 ohm.

The latter were pretty much useless when plugged into an ipod or similar.

EDIT: If they're two way headphones there'll be a crossover, possibly explaining the capacitor.

Low impedance input. ;)

(I'm not sure what I think that means.)

haha I get tripped up on the impedance thing anyway. I think what you said though is probably about right. There'd have to be an amp of some sort in there if were to be any different.

... or upgrading them. Anyone ever try this? I got a pair of retro pioneer headphones I like. They sound good at lower volumes but not at the volumes I record at. I like them better than my AKG's in that the cans are more isolated. Just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the insides. I'm not even sure if I get them apart yet.

If they are closed back, you can dismantle them, and remove the rubbery pads in each speaker.

They will put out considerably more tone, and volume.

Just did that to my favorite pair.

Sennheiser HD555.

If they are closed back, you can dismantle them, and remove the rubbery pads in each speaker.

They will put out considerably more tone, and volume.

Just did that to my favorite pair.

Sennheiser HD555.

I did dismantle them before. But don't believe there are any rubbery pads. Just normal thin foam in front.

Back