Replacing a Shattered Neck? (Cheaply?)

rozsand

Is there anything to stop me from bolting a Squier Strat neck - or another cheap replacement neck - onto an Ibanez RG120? (Besides the obvious bad taste.)

My brother just smashed his old RG120 at a gig, and left me its body and shattered neck. I was wondering if I could combine the body from the RG and the neck / head from my seven year-old Squier to create some sort of functional (albeit hideous Frankenstein monster) guitar. It seems like a better idea to me than just letting them both sit and collect dust. And no, I can't bear to throw them out - I learned on that Squier. It might even sound "okay" with the RG's pickups.

If this is a bad idea, or if you know a good place to get a better CHEAP replacement neck, let me know!

rozsand said:
Is there anything to stop me from bolting a Squier Strat neck - or another cheap replacement neck - onto an Ibanez RG120? (Besides the obvious bad taste.)

My brother just smashed his old RG120 at a gig, and left me its body and shattered neck. I was wondering if I could combine the body from the RG and the neck / head from my seven year-old Squier to create some sort of functional (albeit hideous Frankenstein monster) guitar. It seems like a better idea to me than just letting them both sit and collect dust. And no, I can't bear to throw them out - I learned on that Squier. It might even sound "okay" with the RG's pickups.

If this is a bad idea, or if you know a good place to get a better CHEAP replacement neck, let me know!

Only issues I can think of is if the neck fits okay in the body-the pocket its called I think-and that the screw holes match up to the ones in the body. If they don't line up you may need to drill out the holes and insert some dowel pieces to give the neck/body connection some strength-remember the stess that 6 strings tuned to pitch is considerable!

I replaced the neck on a strat copy several years back and found a tele neck at Elderly music for $60 that I still love, an official Fender as well! ;)

Hey as long as it fits....

One thing to watch is the scale length. Make sure that the new length matches the old one. Measure from nut to bridge.

Micter said:
The neck pocket is different. Search ebay for an Ibanez neck.

Yup. They use quite different neck pocket demensions, and if I remember rightly the Ibanez neck is a fret or three longer, so the bridge won't line up in the right place even if the scale length is the same.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back