Replacing a key on a Yamaha S90

bigtom

Does anyone know how to replace a key on a Yamaha S90. I've got it opened up, but can't figure out how to remove the key. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the key deck nneds to be3 out of the chassi... ya want to approach the thing kinda sideways cause you grab that finn on the pivot end and pull up and forward slightly... at the sametime pull the font of the key up and back... and no big hammers.... if ya look at the one on either end youll see there's a spring set in there... so watch it... and the spring has to load into the key putting it back together.... good luck... and be careful with the grease... dont know if thet changed it but it used 3types of grease for the three pivot points... and the get nasty thick if mixed... if there's crap in the grease just remove with a Qtip...

You mean I have to detach the whole key bed from the bottom of the unit to remove the key. Can you only get to it from underneath?
If that's the case I'm worried about any cables that are connected to the key bed. Yikes!!

ya gotta pull that key forward and up... the fall board gets in the way...

Thanks, I managed to get the key out after taking the front panel off. Mine was a D key just below middle C. I have read that seems to be a key that breaks often and just like so many others have said the key was cracked at the very back bottom. So I switched out that D for the highest D and glued the broken piece back on the key put it in high D place. So far all seems to be well. I'll close up the case tomorrow and make sure all works ok.
Thanks again for the help,
Big Tom

Back