Replacement head for t38

TEAC has a parts department and also some parts resellers. In the UK you go through Charles Hyde.
Last I saw 38/TSR heads were about £300 each. The erase heads aren't available anymore, though.

What's wrong with it, anyway? I had a head on a '32 once that I thought had failed in one channel, but was actually deeply covered in crud. You can also get the heads relapped if they have uneven wear.
In principle it should be possible to rebuild them too by sputtering more material on them, but no-one seems to do this.

I'm looking at one on EBay. It apparently just plays, doesn't record. Its dirt cheap at the moment.

Interesting. It's unlikely that all 8 channels would die at once like that if it was a head problem. What these machines are susceptible to a lot is the relays in the channel cards seizing up and not switching between record and play properly. Alternatively, the record head could be covered in gunk.

Can you get a picture of the heads? That's basically the most important question to ask when shopping for a machine, by the way ;)

don't forget jrf matnetics as well.........although it definatley could be cards, relays, etc................

Just keep your eyes open for a head for a 38/48/58/TSR-8/ATR60-8...they're all the same part. Or check with openreel.net...looks like they have them for 48,200yen.

Excellent point...if the head records, it should play back and vice versa. If one or the other functions is not working then it would be something in the source switching or the amp sections. Agreed?

Excellent point...if the head records, it should play back and vice versa. If one or the other functions is not working then it would be something in the source switching or the amp sections. Agreed?

Yeah, though I figured it was playing back through the monitor head. It might be a switching fault, but more likely IMHO the sync head is crudded up, or possibly unplugged somehow. You'd really have to try hard to blow all 8 channels of a single head at once without cooking the amp cards too.

Don't get me wrong, Openreel.net is a good resource - but I hate the idea of him splashing out on a replacement head if the existing one already works.

Another good question to ask the seller - if it's not already too late - is whether the machine plays back in SYNC mode as well as in REPRO mode. If both these work then whatever is wrong, it cannot be the heads.

Back