Replacement for Presonus Revelator io44 - which one to choose for livestreams and voiceovers?

chaoshead

Any thoughts on which audio interface would be a better choice than the io44 when it comes to livestreaming and voiceovers? I have Røde NT1 and Procaster mics, but soon, i will have Shure SM7b in house as well.

Price range: about €150/$150

I am just asking in case i wish to upgrade.

I like the Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen - It does what you need - with the SM7 you will need something like a Cloudlifter to get it to the right volume.

I like the Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen - It does what you need - with the SM7 you will need something like a Cloudlifter to get it to the right volume.
I should've stated that i want an interface that can manage without a cloud lifter... I'd pay extra for getting that, really.

I should've stated that i want an interface that can manage without a cloud lifter... I'd pay extra for getting that, really.
The latest F'rite 1-2, gen4 interfaces say they have 69dB of gain, which should be more than enough. It will go out of budget though.

There are folks that get by with the older ones and less gain in the preamps. You just have raise the gain on the track in your DAW, i.e., a track/region "bias" and not something you're going to do with a fader.

An SM7B with your lips on the foam will be fine with most modern interfaces, but increase it a to a few inches and that preamp becomes a good investment.
The trouble is most people don't need extra gain from an average preamp - their mics will be fine, so limiting your preamp choice by out and out gain is a bit pointless and restrictive. You can get pretty decent Chinese sourced in-line preamps that work fine with the SM7B for not too much money.

Back