Replacement cushions for guitar stands

onlyfingers

I have a couple of "tripod" guitar stands that I rest my guitar on during performances and practice. They are getting old, and the surgical-rubber tubing that is used for cushioning has hardened and is splitting. Does anyone know a source of replacement tubing? It looks like what I need is 1/2" OD (outer diameter), 3/8" ID, and 1/16" walls. With 5' of tubing, I can take care of both stands.

If I can't find tubing, I will try to make cushions out of old mousepads. Should I be concerned about the foamy black padding on the underside of mousepads reacting with the finish on the guitars? (The maximum time an instrument stays on the stand and would be exposed to the cushion is 15 minutes.)

Thanks.

onlyfingers said:
I have a couple of "tripod" guitar stands that I rest my guitar on during performances and practice. They are getting old, and the surgical-rubber tubing that is used for cushioning has hardened and is splitting. Does anyone know a source of replacement tubing? It looks like what I need is 1/2" OD (outer diameter), 3/8" ID, and 1/16" walls. With 5' of tubing, I can take care of both stands.

If I can't find tubing, I will try to make cushions out of old mousepads. Should I be concerned about the foamy black padding on the underside of mousepads reacting with the finish on the guitars? (The maximum time an instrument stays on the stand and would be exposed to the cushion is 15 minutes.)

Thanks.

I replaced all mine with clear flexible plastic tubing that I got from either a Home Depot or auto parts store. It's not quite as soft as the original rubber, but it won't oxidize/harden/turn into gunk that sticks to everything like rubber will.

not a particularly elegant solution, but

you could use foam pipe insulation. You can get it at any hardware/home supply store. It's about a buck for a three foot section. Go and ask, and when you see it, you'll know what I mean. Just don't get the black rubber pipe insulation. I have a feeling that might react with the finish. The stuff I'm talking about is a dark gray, and kind of stiff. I wouldn't recommend the mouse pads, either. Neoprene, which is also what the black rubber tubing is made from, can get sticky when it starts deteriorating.

Or, you an get the aforementioned clear plastic tubing.

That pipe insulation has more uses than duct tape.

Good luck.

Back