Replace Counter belt on TEAC A-3440

Muka

I'm not sure if I should post this on my other thread about Play Button loose so I decided to start a new thread since this has nothing to do with the button. I purchased a pair of belts for the A-3440 (Main and Counter belts). I replaced the main belt but I'm not sure how to get the counter belt on the Reel Motor pulley. Do I have to remove the Reel Holder? I looked from the back of the machine with the back cover removed but I can't get access to the Reel pulley. Any ideas?

Also before posting a new thread, during fast forward and Rewind, should I be hearing sound from the tape? It seems like the tape is touching the play head during these modes causing the sound to he heard. Is his normal or the head need to be adjusted?

Also before posting a new thread, during fast forward and Rewind, should I be hearing sound from the tape? It seems like the tape is touching the play head during these modes causing the sound to he heard. Is his normal or the head need to be adjusted?

The tape should come away from the heads in FF/RW, but isn't there a lever you can use to raise the tape manually? Perhaps that's stuck?

OK - If I FF/RW when the Play push button switch (this is the one under the "Output Select" function) is selected I can hear sound during the FF/RW but if I depress that button I do not hear sound coming from the tape. Is this normal?
Any idea how to take out the counter belt?

PLAY.png

Last edited:
It's actually perfectly OK to hear very low levels of audio when in FF / RW when the "play" switch is pressed. You're listening to the playback head. You can hear it even if the tape is not actually pressing on the head but very close to it. I want you to check something for me. Remove the screws from the head guard (the thing that says "TEAC A-3440" - the 2 screws above). Now, look very closely at the tape / heads while in FF / RW modes. Does the tape actually touch the heads? Look very closely because it can be like 1mm away - very close. You'll still hear a bit of sound when in FF / REW but the tape will not be touching the heads but the heads will be still strong enough to pick up sound. If you can verify that that the tape is not touching the heads then all is well. As far as the counter belt, I can't offer advice because I didn't have to change mine but it looks fairly straight forward. You probably need to go from the back. Check carefully how it's mounted and what you feel is necessary to remove to get to it. Take lots of good photos before you remove or do anything and during the entire process, so that you can put it back in reverse. Also number the screws so you know which goes where. It's actually not that complicated. You can do it. Just take your time.

Hi CJ,
Thanks for your input. The tape is not touching the head so I am assuming that all is well. Also about the counter belt, I'll leave it till the current one is not working anymore. The only reason I was wanting to replace it is because I purchased the drive belt and it came as a kit with the counter belt included.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

I have a 3440 and I have changed the capstan belt but never the counter.
Note there are 3 screws holding the LH reel table on, removing these might expose a much smaller drum around which the belt goes?
Don't forget the side cheeks can come off as well?

And yes, you do get squeal when in fast wind mode. I actually had a problem with this many years ago. When the tape drops back into play it is still going quite a lick and there was enough HF getting to our Kef speakers to pop a tweeter on a bad day! Fixed that with an inline fuse to the tweeter.

Dave.

I've just received a main belt from TEAC and I'm preparing to replace. While removing the main drive belt pieces, I noticed a bunch of sticky black gunk. Should I clean this stuff off or is it some sort of adhesive to prevent the belt from slipping?

I've just received a main belt from TEAC and I'm preparing to replace. While removing the main drive belt pieces, I noticed a bunch of sticky black gunk. Should I clean this stuff off or is it some sort of adhesive to prevent the belt from slipping?

No! That is residue from a worn belt. You should clean all the drive surfaces with ISOPROPA. This can take quite a bit of elbow grease. Also, take the pinch roller off (DO NOT LOSE ANY WASHERS AND NOTE THEIR ORDER!) and clean that until you get a clean, dull rubber surface. I found a cloth and spit worked best.
If the pinch roller shaft looks grubby or is dry clean is with the alcohol and lubricate VERY sparingly with a light machine oil (if wife has a sewing machine that is the perfect stuff!) .

Dave.

Back