Repair Mixer Outputs?

Chrisjob

I have a Soundcraft Spirit Folio F1 (16-channel) mixer that I use mainly for routing inputs. The main outputs which respond to the Master Mix faders (xlr) are starting to short. I'd say the right channel works about 60% of the time, and today, the left channel started to crackle.

If you really cranked up the gain you can hear a faint signal. I'm 95% sure the problem is with the XLR outputs. I've checked the cables, and everything sounds fine with headphones.

Is this something worth trying to fix? I quite like this mixer, and don't anticipate needing to upgrade anytime, as it suits my needs well. I have minimal soldering skills. Can I locate the problem with a multi-meter? Would contact spray make any difference?

If I were to get it fixed, whom does one contact for this kind of work? There are some service centers listed on Soundcraft's website. Are these the best options?

Thanks and cheers,
Chris

I would clean the sliders before I did anything else. This mixer has seen lots of service, so it's a safe bet that it needs to be cleaned up. You can find spraycans of "control cleaner" at Radioshack for about $5. If no luck there try www.mcminone.com They have a lot of different cleaners for electronic uses. Find one that "cleans and lubricates" Spray a littltbit into the slider and then move it back and forth to the full travel without forcing it. Lotsa reps may be needed to get the job done. This should be done at least yearly, more often if it starts to get noisey. Usually things like this give you some warning and progressively get worse.

good luck

chazba

a good cleaning wont hurt anything so go ahead but i got a feeling it's not your problem... dirty faders rarely go intermittent... if you dont feel comfortable opening it yep use the recommended service centers... they might charge more per hr than non certified but if they find it in 1/2-1/3 the time and do it right... well your better off then aren't ya???? on the otherhand if you feel up to it start by looking at the solder joints for the connectors.... IME 60-70% of all repairs come down to physical problems.... YMMV

Back