Repainting an Electric gitar

apush

I was thinking of having my very road-worn Ibanez Talman repainted. The present paint is very thick, almost like it's lamenated. A guy I know has offered to do it for free. He does custum paint for cars that have been published in Lowrider magazine. I want to go with a 3-color chameleon paint job.

What do you think?
Is there anything I should do to prep for this?
Is this totally a bad idea?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken I believe that the Talmans are made of particle board not solid wood. (someone correct me if I'm wrong please) If thats the case, be aware that there might be different steps to take in the prep opposed to solid wood.

ELF

There were somewhere around ten different models of that particular guitar mine is one of the "middle of the road" models. Not quite the $250 model and not quite the $800 model either.

Still, any ideas on this paint thing? It would be really cool to have a chameleon paint job on a guitar don't you think? I'm just wondering what the chances of this getting totally botched.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Painting wood is not quite the same game as painting metal. Wood is porous and is more sensative to temperatures. The reason I mention this is because most auto based painting is many many layers of enamel and still more of clear coats and assorted euythanes.

Reguardless of the actual wood on your guitar, its wood. It's just me, but I would sand a few layers of the current finish off, pretty much to the bare wood. Not so carried away that you start exposing the entire natural state. That way if it is a partical board or similar fabricated body, you wont risk flakes or chips routing it up.

After you hone off a few layers, apply a decent primer that caters to wood. Let that cure, buff it with some medium grit steel wool.... and let your boy at it.

I agree with even, but I wanted to add...Please remember to remove all the pick ups and pick guard before you start. Also I would reomve the neck as well.

Back