Removing sounds already in the mix

NYMorningstar

Recording Modus Operandi
Anyone tried Spectral Layers Pro? I watched a seminar on it and it the dude was able to remove background engine hum, breaking, water running and numerous other sounds already in the mix. Pretty awesome what you can do with it.

I'm always impressed by technologies like this. If you can get an isolated sample of the background noise only, Reaper has a pretty awesome plugin (ReaFir) that will do a decent job of removing constant background noise, but I'd bet SLP can do it without an isolated sample, eh?

Did they show any examples of how well it works with a shitty SNR between background & voices? I use ReaFir a lot for removing background noise/hum in location audio for commercials and corporate videos and such, but with the really nasty loud noise/quite voice combo, you can end up with some pretty intense & distracting processing artifacts.

Anyone tried Spectral Layers Pro? I watched a seminar on it and it the dude was able to remove background engine hum, breaking, water running and numerous other sounds already in the mix. Pretty awesome what you can do with it.

I'm just curious why they didn't show it removing important stuff, like voices and instruments. It almost seems weird that they'd remove stuff that most people won't have on their recordings to begin with, without showing how it removes something that everyone would have on their recordings, like music.

When you remove a freq range you remove it from everything - music as well as background. Similar tools have existed for ages. Spectral is simply a newer visual way of doing it.
Waverepair uses a "fingerprint", vvarious other use various way & names but when you take it away it comes from across the section of the file you want "cleaned". It requires very subtle hands & ears and the best results are always a compromise.

When you remove a freq range you remove it from everything - music as well as background. Similar tools have existed for ages. Spectral is simply a newer visual way of doing it.
Waverepair uses a "fingerprint", vvarious other use various way & names but when you take it away it comes from across the section of the file you want "cleaned". It requires very subtle hands & ears and the best results are always a compromise.
I'm sure it can't remove music without sounding like shit, just like every other "noise removal" software. I'm sure it's very impressive at removing the sound of steam engines, motors and vacuum cleaners. But that' would only be useful to me if I made the habit of recording such noisy thingss that shouldn't be in my reording to begin.

Still wondering why they don't demo it actually doing something useful, like removing a guitar track or a vocal. Not that that would be useful to me either. But at least it's a scenario that MIGHT come in handy one day to someone who didn't record while mowing the lawn.

I'm just curious why they didn't show it removing important stuff, like voices and instruments. It almost seems weird that they'd remove stuff that most people won't have on their recordings to begin with, without showing how it removes something that everyone would have on their recordings, like music.

Thinking the same thing

Hey RAMI you should make a plugin that can take the dough out of the cake after its already been baked. Call it Re-Bake :thumbs up:

I'm sure it can't remove music without sounding like shit, just like every other "noise removal" software. I'm sure it's very impressive at removing the sound of steam engines, motors and vacuum cleaners. But that' would only be useful to me if I made the habit of recording such noisy thingss that shouldn't be in my reording to begin.

Still wondering why they don't demo it actually doing something useful, like removing a guitar track or a vocal. Not that that would be useful to me either. But at least it's a scenario that MIGHT come in handy one day to someone who didn't record while mowing the lawn.
I agree. But there is always that situation where, for whatever reason, there might appear a noise on one of the tracks that warrants removal. I have a dynafex noise reduction unit that is useful for getting shot of some low level but irritating and noticeable noise.
One of the books I'm currently reading is "Light and shade" which has a load of interviews with Jimmy Page. Great book. Anyway, talking about the recording of "Since I've been loving you", he & the interviewer get to talking about the sound of the squeaky drum pedal. I've long been surprized that it's there and Page says "it gets louder every time I hear it ! It's one of those unfortunate things that got overlooked, sadly".
So it can happen to anyone ! :D

Yeah i'd worry about losing frequencies that are essential to the real elements in the mix (that aren't...water running and engines). Cosign ^
It's pretty fascinating / cool technology but I couldn't see a good application unless their market is for people that record in their front yard on a busy street or summm

I'm from the "if you can't beat it, join it" school of thought. Buzzy amp with awesome sound? Leave the buzz in. Maybe a slight touch of expansion to make it less obtrusive but make it part of the ambience of the track. Add some other ambient sound effects if everything else is too clean. Silence and total isolation is sooo 80s anyway.

Either that or fix the stupid amp before hitting record.

Back