removing partitions

lronhoover

I have a windows 98 computer I'm converting to just recording. I got a virius, and once I get this fixed, it will never see the internet again. My problem is, I ran the start up disk and it comes up that I have 2 GB on the hard drive. This drive should be 17.5 I also have a WD 40 GB as my second drive. I think the first has partitons on it (fat 32?)and I would like to remove them to have one big drive. Is this possible.

The biggest problem I have with your post is that Windows98 is about six years in the past for me. Off the top of my head I would suggest that you look into a copy of Partition Magic which, as I recollect, allowed me to tweak partitions not supported by whatever utility Win98 used in place of FDISK (Heck, for all I remember maybe Win98 used FDISK).

Ah....the good old win98 days.. How I miss them..

Okay, here is the low down skeezy on FAt16(or just FAT) and Fat 32.

Fat16 only supports 2gb partitions.(win95a days)

Fat32 supports 2+GB on these conditions-
The motherboard has large disk support
Windows is updated with the patch to allow more then 40GB

Now...what OS are you GOING to install?
If you are doing anything recent..like XP or 2000, Just dont even worry about screweing around with the partitions currently. when you install your new OS, it willask you if you want to delete and format your hard drive so that it can install itself "cleanly".

If you have 2 phyisical drives, you cant make them into ONE virtual drive (57GB C:\ instead of 17GB C:\ and 40GB D:\) Unless you run Raid Stripe.

Best bet would be to make a primary partition on each drive.

Hope I didnt confuse you too much.

OK... Are you going to reinstall windows 98 or upgrade to something newer?

If you are going to reinstall 98 then first make a startup disk. (Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs). Restart the computer with the startup disk.

When you get to the command prompt, type:
A: [enter]
fdisk [enter]

A screen will come up telling you that Large Hard drives are supported, enter yes to enable it. In the fdisk menu you can have a look at what partitions are on your drive, and delete them. It will probably be easier to erase the whole lot and start again.

Back